• operating couplers on RTR cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by railvidpro

I've noticed that many current RTR cars are equipped with which looks to me like the first generation couplers produced by McHenry about 10 years ago
Mchenry replaced those first generation couplers, the ones that had the plastic knuckle with couplers with brass coil knuckle springs and it improved operation immensely as the plastic springs were prone to accidental uncoupling
now that most RTR cars come equipped with these couplers I wonder if they are causing the same uncoupling problems
thanks
lou NYSME

by trainiac

Most cars have Bachmann EZ-mates (McHenry copies?) They drive me crazy! The shank is too thin, so the couplers are slack and flexible. The plastic spring has major "memory" problems, because it's too thin where it joins the coupler and usually ends up sticking out uselessly. Both of these features make these uncouplers, not couplers.

by Chuck Walsh

Generally speaking in almost 40 HO different coupler applications, the KD IMO, works best.

by ANDY117

I use the McHenry couplers with the metal springs, and plan to switch over to the scale ones soon.

by mp15ac

On Walthers recent models, such as the new Santa Fe 1300 series wood caboose, they're useing the McHenry #41 scale-size knuckle spring couplers.

Stuart
  by paulrail

I bought the Kadee # 58 scale couplers (i.e. the "scale" version of their ubiquitous # 5 coupler) After trying a few pairs on some freight cars, I am convinced.....they are fabulous! :-D Not only do they look great ("scale") but can couple with another # 58 OR, a # 5 as well, despite the size difference. They hold tight and I have never experienced an accidental or unplanned uncoupling.

Has anyone else tried these # 58s out?

Paul

by scopelliti

The 58s are nice. Now, I wish Kadee would sell them in packs of ten or twenty like they do the 5s. After all, when swapping in the 58s all we need are the couplers. No springs or draft gear boxes.

by paulrail

Yes, by all means! ....... We do need them in 10 or 20 packs for converting our rolling stock over to the "prototypical" size coupler. I'm sure most of us have many cars to upgrade and it does get expensive when you only get two pair in an envelope.

I think I'll e-mail Kaydee and see if they woul be willing to do this.

Paul