• AMTK 10004?!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

It comes from an inverter, and no it cannot sync with other supplies. There is no way to to do that other than two HHP-8s together because their propulsion computer can sync the phases and allow the two units to run as one. Other than that there is no system in the engine itself that will sync its 3 phase inverter with another supply. Every electric locomotive has a converter inverter system for making HEP for the train and only two have ever been able to do syncing. The original DC AEM-7s which do not do this anymore because it was a failure and the HHP-8

The HHP-8 defaults its HEP system to be ON at first boot up. The system provides no indication that the HEP contactor is closed or that the system is commanded as "on" unless you go in to the maintenance screens on the firemans side. If the system is in the on commanded state, as soon as train line complete is made on both sides for the safety trainline in the HEP cables, the contactor will close. Its not a safe system. Whenever someone is working on anything HEP related they must make sure they command the system to be OFF which the engineers display should say HEP OUTPUT OFF and the mantaince menu on the firemans side will show HEP off and conctactor open on the status screen.

The reason they work this way is all of the software etc in the HHP was developed off the high speed trainset power car configuration by people who never built a locomotive before. The ACS-64 came with a smiliar issue as it was built, but it is being modified in the software.
  by David Benton

Thanks for the info.
We put manual isolating switches on both sides of all inverters we install , wether required by law or not. Though they are supposedly electronically protected , there is nothing more reassuring than a good mechanical clunk to confirm isolation. Though we are supposed to test ,prove,test before touching anything possibly live, familiarity breeds complacency. Alot of sparkies carry the cheap neon voltage indicators with them, a quick way of seeing if something is live.
  by mtuandrew

ApproachMedium wrote:Every electric locomotive has a converter inverter system for making HEP for the train and only two have ever been able to do syncing. The original DC AEM-7s which do not do this anymore because it was a failure and the HHP-8
Wandering off topic, but am I correct in remembering that the P30CH (yes, a diesel, not an electric) could also sync HEP between units?

Back on topic, would it be possible to haul 10004 mid-train, assuming one had no need to access the cars fore or aft?
  by ApproachMedium

mtuandrew wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Every electric locomotive has a converter inverter system for making HEP for the train and only two have ever been able to do syncing. The original DC AEM-7s which do not do this anymore because it was a failure and the HHP-8
Wandering off topic, but am I correct in remembering that the P30CH (yes, a diesel, not an electric) could also sync HEP between units?

Back on topic, would it be possible to haul 10004 mid-train, assuming one had no need to access the cars fore or aft?
I always forget about them, but yea I believe someone mentioned they did. They were long scrapped before I was born so I have no recollection of them other than that the photos show they look like a wide body U34CH
  by ThirdRail7

mtuandrew wrote:

There are FRA accessibility requirements. If they aren't met, you'd need an EOT or you'd have to station someone in the section behind. I doubt it would happen.

I've heard the term "theater car" and "inspection car" to describe this piece of equipment. Since there is no instrumentation, I don't think it should show as an "inspection" car. That is a personal opinion which others may not agree with.

PS: It is going on a trip on the NEC this WED. If you hang out between Secaucus and Elizabeth, you should get a nice, slow moving shot of it.
  by Backshophoss

Most of the theater/inspection cars and office cars will have speedo and brake pipe gauge installed,along with a dump valve.
In the interior pics posted by acelaphillies,in the upper right corner was a speedo/gauge cluster,dump valve might be by
the chair on the lower right corner.
  by ThirdRail7

This car and a few others are one the NEC today, heading west via ALB.
  by ThirdRail7

I suppose no one caught this car and the 10001 on the Perryville WYE yesterday. If you did, a video of the move would be appreciated. If you missed it, the car is on the road today headed to Beantown. Plenty of photo opportunities exist along the NEC over the next two days.
  by Matt Johnson

Just curious, you can see the theater seating portion in the Viewliner theater car, but what's in the rest of the car? Bedrooms, coach type seating, office type seating?
  by Backshophoss

There's an ADA accessable bathroom,a luggage storage area,a Amfleet style kitchen/pantry area,and a dining area,
that doubles as a conference area,in the theater area there are fold away tables to place laptops on with tiny
work lights(leds)to allow lights off viewing at night. Mulitiple flatscreens thru out the car for Data/Video use.
If Corridor Clipper and Amreican View are together,Real time display of Data in both cars on the flatscreens.
  by acelaphillies

Matt Johnson wrote:Just curious, you can see the theater seating portion in the Viewliner theater car, but what's in the rest of the car? Bedrooms, coach type seating, office type seating?
Check ouyt my post on the previous page of this thread
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5#p1269910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Matt Johnson

How'd I miss that? Very cool, thanks!
  by D.Carleton

Ever so slightly off topic: does anyone know if anything is happening with the final Viewliner prototype, the 2300? There had been early speculation of a conversion to a prototype coach or café setup but nothing has been heard in a while.
  by Backshophoss

The prototype Diner,is in service,cycling on all the east coast LD's,
10004 American View was 1 of the prototype sleeper shells,
the other is reportly the "test bed" for the View I overhaul project
at Bear De shop.
It might be on shop trucks,not roadworthy.
  by Matt Johnson

It's interesting that Amtrak chose Phase IV for the recent Viewliner rebuilds. I can only hope that once the two color schemes start getting mixed together, whoever makes these decisions (Boardman alone?) is reminded of how crappy that looks and just goes back to a consistent Phase IV across the board.