Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Ðauntless

Besides what is on Steves site.....

I am looking for a little more on what Bliss tower did, from the late 70s until early 90s. What sidings, signals, etc it took care of, and any other details...

Thanls
  by Backshophoss

Bliss controled the east end of the "C" Secondary and the east end of the EB+WB Montauk cutoff tracks,from yard "A"
Bliss was the west end of the Lower Montauk Branch double track. Within Bliss's limits was a hand throw switch leading to
Triplex,there was a spring switch what was set for Main 2 from "C" secondary within Bliss's Limits
The switches to EB/WB Cutoff tracks were hand throws.
There were 2 P/L high signals, 1 was east facing on the "C" secondary,the other was west facing on Main 1 Montauk Branch,
all other signals were P/L Dwarfs.
Bliss had a east bound facing train order signal on the building.
  by Ðauntless

Thanks BSH, very insightful for what I need.

Was it common for Bliss to give orders?

Another question somewhat related, Was Dutch Kills and Cabin M Manned, If so until when?
  by Backshophoss

West of Bliss thre're 2 "moveable " bridges,a 2 track bridge on the Cutoff tracks,and a single track bridge on
the "C" secondary.
Cabin"M" was next to the 2 track Cutoff bridge,unknown if that bridge tender handled both bridges.
Both bridges had signals and derails
Believe both bridges are "straight railed" or "unmoveable" due to Mech problems.
Bliss handed out "C" cards for moves to LIC and to Yard "A" heading RR west.
Train orders to run against Current of traffic on Main 1 of the Montauk branch
were handed out at Bliss(running EB on a normally WB track)
Bliss may have handled moves in/out of the remains of Wheelspur Yard.
(If I'm reading this track chart correctly)
  by emfinite

Dauntless, I have some train movement records from Bliss in the 1998-99 era with all the train and job numbers. Most are with all old equipment numbers. I have to scan them in for you. Lots of NYAR jobs listed too with the crew members names for the repeat times of the S cards. Most guys have moved on from NYAR, but really fun seeing the old names listed for both roads.
  by Ðauntless

BSH, Thanks for the info.

Emfinite, would love to see those sheets when you get a chance.
  by nyandw

Here's the Bliss webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bliss/bliss.htm with some maps/photos.
Union Switch & Signal model TC interlocking machine and model board at "Bliss" tower, LI City 12/29/1977

Kearney Siding and Blissville yard with pickle cars on the Block and Guggenheimer siding
Jones and Laughlin Steel, N.Y. Aerial view of part of Long Island City 06-29-1947
Source: New York State Archives Creator: Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc. New York office.
LIRR RS3 #1557 & S-2 #444 Tower Bliss 12-70 Photo/Archive: Dave Keller
  by LB

What's the current status of Bliss? Has the tower/cabin been removed? Looks like a run down area from recent photos.
  by SwingMan

Still there, yard was restored for storage about 5 years ago.
  by n2qhvRMLI

BLISS as it is today, on exhibit at the Railroad Museum of Long Island, Greenport site. Retired LIRR signalmen wired the machine to a number of signals around the exhibit hall. As you throw the switches, the signals change in prototypical fashion.

de Don n2qhvRMLI
  by Doc Emmet Brown

For years the AM Block Operator at Bliss was Al Wier or weir forget how it was spelled.
One day we were coming out of LIC with Engines, and The Engineer mooned al as we went by.
Next day al came out with nothing but his boots on as we passed.. of course we had a female Engineer Trainee....
  by onorclose7

OH NO! HOW DID THAT TURN OUT?
  by krispy

Humorous story there - That lady was sent back from engineers when they had that big lay-off back in the late '80s (?) She wound up going to the towers and fast-tracked to 204. Wasn't long before Al wound up hearing her voice on his dispatcher line. So I was cautioned when I started, careful who ya moon!

Think it was in the late '90's one winter night vandals broke into Cabin M and set it on fire. Afterwards you could see the old machine, a very small mechanical set up that looked like small version of a strong arm machine poking through the ashes. Afterwards it would B&B a great deal of men and a lot of handwringing to open those bridges, they were in such bad shape.

Bliss would re-open occasionally for special occasions and except for the commute (last exit of the LIE) I enjoyed the job. Several excellent deli's nearby and a relatively quiet job. If the job was open via General Notice we had a pair of traffic signal lights we'd put out on 1 and 2 track facing West at the limits of Bliss, with a toggle switch to go from red to green. S Cards would get you East. Only thing was the constant tractor trailers would just fly out of control down the ramp and just nearly miss the crossing gate stanchions. Sometimes they didn't miss and the maintainer was lucky it would be just the gates. You had to be real careful where you parked your car.

Great job on the RMLI with the Bliss machine. I'm glad it was saved and displayed.
  by Ðauntless

Thank you Krispy.

Would anyone know when Cabin M was closed (I imagine before the fire) and more importantly who took over the machine there? Did what Cabin M Control, move to Jay? I imagine this would be the signals on the cut off, as well as the smash boards? Same goes for DB..

Were S cards issued for Westbound movements as well?

Thanks for the insight everyone, especially to this non employee.
  by Fla East Coast Chris

Krispy would get coffee near by and it would give him such a headache!!!!!! One lump or 2 better make it two.. WHUMP!!!!!! Merry Christmas my old 1995 class friend!!! Merry Christmas to you too Dauntless.. :-D