• 2014 Autumn Excursion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by njtmnrrbuff

While that might be a diss appointment, it's not all that serious. Hey, at least, there will be plenty of wonderful side window views. Hopefully, we will be able to photograph one end of the train from another.
  by acelaphillies

The biggest treat for you guys would be if they put the 10004 American View on the end and let people sit back there. Although it would be cool, I can see why Amtrak does not do it. It would obviously be the best seat that everyone would want. There would be so many people scrambling for so little seats that it would probably get over crowded. If they did it, I think they would have to reserve seats by charging a premium.
  by khecht

As I recall last year, they were directing people to specific coaches during boarding, filling them up one at a time, rather than just letting people board whatever car they wanted. With 16 or whatever cars last year, this was probably the most efficient way to do it. Obviously you could wander the train once on board but most people just stayed in their original car. I'd expect similar this year.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I wouldn't hold your breath about being allowed into any of the cars like the American View and the Conference Car because they are primarily used for employees. That would be one nice view out of the rear of the American view; the Conference Car, on the other hand, doesn't offer the best view from the rear.

Last year, what time did the lines start filling up? I'm taking 79 down on Sat morning the 8th, and give or take, hopefully I will not be the last in line.
  by khecht

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Last year, what time did the lines start filling up? I'm taking 79 down on Sat morning the 8th, and give or take, hopefully I will not be the last in line.
Last year on the Sunday train I got there via SEPTA regional rail around 50-55 minutes before departure. There was a pretty good line already in the concourse at the departing track, but I figured there was plenty of time and wandered off to the food court. They started boarding around 45 minutes before departure. I wasn't late and I had no problem getting a decent seat on a Horizon coach, but I definitely didn't think they'd board that early.
  by CSX Conductor

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath about being allowed into any of the cars like the American View and the Conference Car because they are primarily used for employees.
Solution: Add The American View to the rear and dedicate it just for us employees, especially since we are NOT offered any discount. Lol :-D
  by acelaphillies

CSX Conductor wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath about being allowed into any of the cars like the American View and the Conference Car because they are primarily used for employees.
Solution: Add The American View to the rear and dedicate it just for us employees, especially since we are NOT offered any discount. Lol :-D
That would be neat, and I wouldn't say unfair either!
  by phillymountainrailfan

does anybody exactly know which tracks the autumn express is taking?
because I want to make sure I am not in the wrong place to see the train leaving and departing
I got it perfect last year and I want to get it perfectly this year.
  by gprimr1

phillymountainrailfan wrote:does anybody exactly know which tracks the autumn express is taking?
because I want to make sure I am not in the wrong place to see the train leaving and departing
I got it perfect last year and I want to get it perfectly this year.
I def would like to know this too. I'm going on Saturday but I'm spending the night Saturday so I can chase the Sunday train.
  by westernfalls

phillymountainrailfan wrote:does anybody exactly know which tracks the autumn express is taking?
gprimr1 wrote:I def would like to know this too.
A reliable map is a good place to start, but beyond that, which mysteries of this 100+ mile route would you like clarified?
  by phillymountainrailfan

A reliable map is a good place to start, but beyond that, which mysteries of this 100+ mile route would you like clarified?[/quote]
Which direction is the train going leaving Philadelphia?
Is it going to be taking the NS tracks going through Conshohocken or coming in through the Morrisville line through Norristown transportation center? I know which train can get me there in time to film it traveling by.
  by westernfalls

phillymountainrailfan wrote:Which direction is the train going leaving Philadelphia?
According to the advertised route, the train must initially back up to the south, to the area where the Airport Line diverges, in order to proceed north on the High Line.
phillymountainrailfan wrote:Is it going to be taking the NS tracks going through Conshohocken or coming in through the Morrisville line through Norristown transportation center?
It will then continue on the west side of the Schuylkill River through West Conshohocken and Bridgeport. The SEPTA commuter route is on the other side of the river so you'll have to walk across a bridge.
  by BenH

theozno wrote:Saturdays trip sold out within minutes of being on sale!!
Sunday still available as of 10:30. I will be taking the train across country beginning in Seattle the following day so I can't go.
Not sure about this. I just checked the Amtrak website and at the moment there are still tickets available on both Saturday and Sunday.
  by ExCon90

I was told, I think reliably, that the choke point on capacity is of all things the caterer supplying the box lunches. There is some word that the problem has been worked out, so possibly more cars have been added.
  by gprimr1

Mainly once it leaves Philly. I'm not very familiar with the railroads outside of Philly. I know it will back down to probably CP Arsnial and hop on the high line then head out west through Fairmount Park and along I-76.

Where it goes from there is a mystery to me. Will it come back the same way, via the High line?