Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by njtmnrrbuff

Hey Guys,
Have the new gallery cars been operating all the way to South Bend Airport? During Labor Day weekend, I plan to ride the South Shore all the way to South Bend. I also would like to railfan at various stations along the route. Which are the best stations to do so. I will not have any access to a car. Thanks.
  by justalurker66

The 300 cars ran to South Bend for testing just to see if they would fit (they did) but are NOT run in revenue service east of Michigan City nor on weekends.
  by njtmnrrbuff

That's good to know about the equipment manipulations. How is the railfanning situation in South Bend? Is it possible to look and take pictures out of the front of the train, without standing in the cab vestibule which obviously is a no no these days?
  by njtmnrrbuff

I might want to photograph a train in South Bend near the intersection of Bendix and Westmoor St. How are the angles and how is the neighborhood around there? I would walk from the Amtrak Station. Thanks.
  by justalurker66

I have not done the walk from Amtrak to there ... but the neighborhood seems fine. Only a couple of shootings over the past few years.

I'd stay on the road on the south side of the neighborhood to get to Westmoor/Bendix. It might be a long walk for one shot at a train (there are few opportunities to get two trains).
  by ohioriverrailway

Which trains are now using the gallery cars? Heading to Michigan City for a week and would prefer to ride them rather than the older stock.
  by dinwitty

borrowing from another thread...
As far as the gallery car schedules, I know they are run on Trains 116, 109, and 211, not sure about other schedules.
that was a few years ago, assignments can change, but I would expect them on some of the rush hour runs.