• Accurail... you call this accurate?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by GOLDEN-ARM

NO PROBLEM THERE, SD-60, I'M A "DIET DEW" GUY MYSELF, EXCEPTING THE OCCASIONAL DIET CREAM SODA. :-D (NOT SURE, BUT THERE COULD BE SOME ICE CREAM IN THE KEYBOARD, CAUSING THIS CAPS LOCK DEAL.... :wink: REGARDS

by Steve Wagner

Back to the original subject:

The Accurail USRA hopper car kit does have the brake lever. It's part of an annoyingly small casting that I've had trouble cementing in place.

I suspect that many USRA cars received brake wheels over their years in service.

by GOLDEN-ARM

HEY, STEVE. DOES THAT "ANNOYINGLY SMALL" PIECE SHOW UP ON YOUR DIRECTIONS ? I KNOW WHERE A WHEEL/LEVER SHOULD GO, AND I WILL ADD A NICE CAST WHEEL, CORRECT FOR THE PERIOD, BUT MY SHEET DOESN'T EVEN ALLOW, OR SUGGEST, THE PIECE EVEN EXISTS. OVERALL, A NICE CAR, BUT THIS ONE DETAIL IS A STICKING POINT, FOR ME. (TRUTH BE TOLD, I MIGHT GRAB A DOZEN MORE, ALONG WITH SOME BRAKEWHEELS, AND CHANGE THE ROAD NUMBERS, TO "ADD TO THE FLEET") I WOULDN'T MIND SEEING A PROTOTYPE PHOTO, SUPPORTING A LEVER OPERATED HANDBRAKE, ON THE TOP OF A 55 TON HOPPER, IN "PERIOD" SERVICE. HAVEN'T SEEN ONE FOR THE ROAD I MODEL. JUST THE OLD HANDBRAKE, CAST WHEEL, WITHOUT THE "QUICK-RELEASE" ARM, OR PAWL/LEVER. (WIND 'EM ON, WIND 'EM OFF) REGARDS :-D