• Tehachapi Loop

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by BoilerBob

What is the big deal about Tehachapi Loop? I am from the East Coast and I am totally unfamilar about it.

by AmtrakFan

The Big Deal about tehapaci is that it is a busy mountain line with a neat Figure 8 crossing over the other track below.

by LCJ

Thousands of windmills, too. Kind of spooky driving up through there and seeing them all slowly cranking in the wind to generate Enron-free power for California.

by jmp883

BoilerBob Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:57 am Post subject: Tehachapi Loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the big deal about Tehachapi Loop? I am from the East Coast and I am totally unfamilar about it.
I've been in Omaha, NE visiting my parents and have had railfans there ask me what the big deal about Horseshoe Curve in PA is. If you don't live near it, or haven't seen it in magazines or on video, it's understandable that you might not know the different railroad hotspots.

The series has been discontinued but most hobby shops might still have them in stock. Kalmbach (publisher of Model Railroader and Trains mags) did a video series titled "On Location". In that series they covered many of the well-known hotspots around the country, including Tehachapi. It's a pretty good video, if you can still find it.