Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Liquidcamphor

The mishap was due to an Engineer Trainee missing a handsign to stop. The actual Engineer wasn't operating the train. In fairness to him, he was a great guy to be a trainee with because he would always let you run and be involved. Some guys won't let you do anything. The Condr/Brakemen are seasoned guys and actually pretty nice guys so I hope the outcome for them is very light. The Engineer is responsible for the trainee and unfortunately will and I guess should "hold the bag" on this.

Now comes the typical nonsense that always follows these incidents. The "he said/she said" syndrome where one guy swears he gave a sign to stop the other swears he didn't..at the end of the day you hope everyone kisses and makes up.

On complicated moves like that, in the past some Conductors would ask the Engineer himself do the move. I always acquiesce to a request like that as long as I was asked in a respectful way. Let's face it, you guys are a team and you have to work together. The downside to not letting a trainee run is that in a very short time, that trainee will be the Engineer and have no experience making a move like that and now it's a problem. To accomidate a trainee, some Condrs would take it slower or cut away most of the cars to make the moves easier so that the guy could get some running experience, which was very nice of them.

As far as the LIRR desiring NYAR to offload the new cars, I disagree with that because the freight transfer agreement prohibits NYAR from handling LIRR shipments. When NYAR first came about, they were bringing LIRR ballast trains to Holban and Sayville. This was stopped by the unions because the LIRR was violating agreements doing what they were doing. Misshaps in train yards have been happening for over a century and occur all over the Country so what would make the LIRR any different that they would hire another railroad to do what they can do themselves.

by bluebelly

To add to Liquid's very informative post and set the record straight, no new M7 fell onto it's side, no new M7s were damaged. The only damage was to the flat and the ramp. The damage in both cases was mlnor.

by mark777

lirrmike:

I actually suggested that they should electrify the crossing gates so that if anyone tries to walk past a lowered gate, they gat zapped! Kind of like the collars that they put on Dogs so they don't runaway. :-D I love how the news overlooks the most important thing here, WE'RE IN WYANDANCH!! Any questions??

by KFRG

"I love how the news overlooks the most important thing here, WE'RE IN WYANDANCH!! Any questions??"

LMAO, soo true.
  by freightguy

Mark777,

With the introduction of the new M7's do you find yourself removing whole families from the bathrooms now? I can't beleive how big those are!

by mark777

freightguy:

If I can even tell you what i have found in those big bathrooms, you would simply laugh. It's just too bad that I can't lock them in like in the M-1/ 3's. I typically get free loaders who hide in there (you know, people who are either getting off or on at Wyandanch). What bugs me the most is that they are hiding for a ticket that would cost them just $2.25 at the station, while everyone else has to pay the full fare. It's just amazing!

by AMoreira81

mark777 wrote:freightguy:

If I can even tell you what i have found in those big bathrooms, you would simply laugh. It's just too bad that I can't lock them in like in the M-1/ 3's. I typically get free loaders who hide in there (you know, people who are either getting off or on at Wyandanch). What bugs me the most is that they are hiding for a ticket that would cost them just $2.25 at the station, while everyone else has to pay the full fare. It's just amazing!
Amazing, but sometimes can be a bit frightening. Passengers who sit near the bathroom should be extremely vigilant, as someone could leave something in there and not be noticed.

by Nasadowsk

I still loved when someone sued RadioShack because an area store used to print 'Radio Shack of Crimedanch" on the recipts. Yep, she *sued* the chain over it, for like 10 million or something dumb like that.

by N340SG

Supposedly one of MU's had a fire, but I don't know to what extent or if there actually was a fire in the equipment.
This one probably refers to 9062. The 750 VDC "Circuit Breaker Group" on the side of the car had a pretty good barbeque. Guess which pair is now the next decommission pair?

Tom

P.S. This is in re to Mike's OT question