• Guilford train sparks forest fires

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

And again, this time a bit further south:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... ches.shtml

by NellsChoo

Yipes! I didn't think today's engines made that many sparks.

by MEC407

I've actually seen a lot of sparks come out of the exhaust stacks of Guilford's locomotives, but only at night when it's really dark -- it's almost impossible to see during the daytime.

A stuck brake shoe on a car could create sparks as well.

by NellsChoo

Is that what your signature photo shows?

:wink:

by MEC407

If Guilford was still running GE locomotives, that would be an entirely different story! :-D

by TPR37777

Guilford making friends everywhere.

etc

by Noel Weaver

Actually, EMD locomotives are usually at fault when an engine becomes a
"fire starter". I can't explain just why that is but I recall various problems
in years past. The earlier GP-38's and GP-40's were notorious for that
sort of a problem.
Noel Weaver
  by MEC407

Noel Weaver wrote:The earlier GP-38's and GP-40's were notorious for that sort of a problem.
Whenever I've seen Guilford's ex-Penn Central GP40s idling at night, there's always lots of little sparks flying up out of the stack. I haven't noticed it as much with their ex-Canadian Natioanl GP40-2Ws.

by MEC407

by b&m 1566

I was in Lowell last Tuesday (May 10th) to watch Guilford at work. It was about 11pm give or take (just after the last MBTA departure for the train to Boston). I and my friend saw a lot of sparks coming out of the 4 engines as they were idling, but when the train started moving there was a lot of sparks as well as some small flames coming from them, something I didn't think was that common. (By the way the train was 94 cars long; most looked empty though because a lot of doors were open as the train went by.)