• Where does the Lehigh Line technically start?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by bbobes327

I guess I should ask where is milepost 0.0 on the Lehigh Line? Bound Brook is somewhere around MP 33, Hunter i think is somewhere around MP 10 and Oak Island yard is right next to it.

Does anybody know where MP 0.0 is? or does the Lehigh Line just start at Oak Island Yard somewhere around MP 9?

Brian
  by Ken W2KB

bbobes327 wrote:I guess I should ask where is milepost 0.0 on the Lehigh Line? Bound Brook is somewhere around MP 33, Hunter i think is somewhere around MP 10 and Oak Island yard is right next to it.

Does anybody know where MP 0.0 is? or does the Lehigh Line just start at Oak Island Yard somewhere around MP 9?

Brian
Not that it's particularly helpful to your specific question, it is my understanding that Lehigh Valley milepost 1 was near the Hudson River shoreline in Jersey City, north across from the CRRNJ passenger terminal.
  by wolfboy8171981

There is currently no MP 0 for the Lehigh Line.

Historical railroad aside, the Lehigh Line starts at the confluences of the Southern Connection, and the Greenville Running Tracks at CP-Pike MP 9.5.
  by lvrr325

Even the 1975 LV timetable has no MP 0, MP 1.0 is in Jersey City. 1962 is the same.

It's possible like the DL&W, MP 0 is technically in New York City, but reached only by ferry.
  by R36 Combine Coach

I would (in today's terms) consider the Lehigh Line the entire Lehigh Valley main line from Philipsburg, on NS territory to Bound Brook and then Conrail to Oak Island (Hunter Interlocking crossing at NEC).