Railroad Forums 

• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1266598  by nick_anshant

MP366 wrote:
MP366 wrote:Nick...is the westbound dwarf signal at CP369 near the hand throws going to be replaced by a signal on the cantilever or has a replacement dwarf yet to be installed?
Erase, erase....

I just drove over the Main Street bridge on the way home from work....for those keeping score, the horizontal component of the EAS CP 369 signal has been installed with signals over Main 1 and 2. Timing is everything....Thanks!

There will be a new dwarf signal installed for the WAS on the siding at CP 369.
 #1268427  by FarmallBob

nick_anshant wrote:
FarmallBob wrote: Where then will the first new intermediate west of CP 270 be located?
...FB
The first new set of intermediate signals will be at MP QC 273.08 which is roughly 3,000' east of New Boston Road. The second new signal will be at MP QC 275.54 which is roughly 2,900' east of the existing 276 signals....
The new intermediate signals at 273.08 appear to be completely installed. But rather than the heads being temporarily turned toward the field as with other signals awaiting cutover, all (8) heads here appears aligned and aimed(?) then covered with large, black canvas hoods:

----

Minor correction to the location of these signals: The grade crossing to the west is Canaseraga Rd. NOT Old Boston Rd. (Old Boston doglegs west at a T-intersection just north of the grade crossing. Canaseraga Rd continues straight from the intersection and crosses the tracks.)

Incidentally this crossing is misidentified as "Old Boston Rd" on my 1998 track map.

...FB
 #1268621  by nick_anshant

FarmallBob wrote:
nick_anshant wrote:
FarmallBob wrote: Where then will the first new intermediate west of CP 270 be located?
...FB
The first new set of intermediate signals will be at MP QC 273.08 which is roughly 3,000' east of New Boston Road. The second new signal will be at MP QC 275.54 which is roughly 2,900' east of the existing 276 signals....
The new intermediate signals at 273.08 appear to be completely installed. But rather than the heads being temporarily turned toward the field as with other signals awaiting cutover, all (8) heads here appears aligned and aimed(?) then covered with large, black canvas hoods:

----

Minor correction to the location of these signals: The grade crossing to the west is Canaseraga Rd. NOT Old Boston Rd. (Old Boston doglegs west at a T-intersection just north of the grade crossing. Canaseraga Rd continues straight from the intersection and crosses the tracks.)

Incidentally this crossing is misidentified as "Old Boston Rd" on my 1998 track map.

...FB

FB,

You should see more and more of the signals here get focused and bagged. We started doing that on the Mohawk cutovers last year and it saved us a lot of time during cutover. This project is going to cutover starting Sunday May 25.

Interesting tidbit about Old Boston Road. It's labeled as New Boston Road in the employee timetable.

Nick
 #1270416  by MC6853

What is the approximate height of these new signal cantilevers and bridges? Anyone who's seen the EAS signals at CP-369 recently knows full well these new signals are significantly taller than the old NYC bridges...
 #1270449  by nick_anshant

MC6853 wrote:What is the approximate height of these new signal cantilevers and bridges? Anyone who's seen the EAS signals at CP-369 recently knows full well these new signals are significantly taller than the old NYC bridges...
The top of a standard, 3 unit high, signal on top of a bridge or cantilever is 48' in the air. The underside of the cross section is 27' 6" up.

Nick
 #1272034  by dhfan17

When I was riding on Amtrak 284 back on Easter, I noticed a box next to Track 4 at the Auto 280 signals that was stenciled "CP 280." It didn't look like any other work had been done there but is this going to be a new set of crossovers between Tracks 1 and 4 to allow more flexibility for trains going into and out of DeWitt to minimize delays?
 #1272084  by nick_anshant

dhfan17 wrote:When I was riding on Amtrak 284 back on Easter, I noticed a box next to Track 4 at the Auto 280 signals that was stenciled "CP 280." It didn't look like any other work had been done there but is this going to be a new set of crossovers between Tracks 1 and 4 to allow more flexibility for trains going into and out of DeWitt to minimize delays?
No. The eastbound signal on Track 4 there will be controlled. No turnouts.

Nick