Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by mkouassi

Has everyone ever saw a PATH K-Class car 1243 while going to NWK-WTC at both directions?
  by R36 Combine Coach

When was this?
  by mkouassi

I just saw it yesterday when was going to Newark Penn Station.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Where exactly?
  by mkouassi

This work train is at the rear of the harrison yard by the rest of the work equipment
  by mkouassi

See it for yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by philipmartin

If your are going to post a picture of a K car, I would appreciate one with a nice, red, keystone on the front; one with the letters PRR on it.
  by R36 Combine Coach

philipmartin wrote:If your are going to post a picture of a K car, I would appreciate one with a nice, red, keystone on the front; one with the letters PRR on it.
Or one with a pentastar ornament.

Back to 1243: scrapped in 2011 with the delivery of the PA5s.
  by philipmartin

http://www.njerhs.org/OldSite/kcars/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here are pictures of K cars, picked from the North Jersey Electric Railway Historical Society. The information at the bottom talks about a wreck at Harrison. When I was working PC towers in the 1970s, I heard about a wreck some time before, caused by the operator at Hudson. It was at night, a drill was crossing onto the freight tracks between the PRR and the Lackawanna I think, but was fowling the H&M tracks. The switch was a rusty rail when reversed and interlocking circuits showed the drill clear. The operator did not want to delay the H&M so, rather than wait for the drill to get on the wayside phone to report clear of the rusty rail, he normalled it and gave the H&M train the railroad. This may be the wreck referred to.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The K-cars were PRR class MP51. Official tech drawings can be found here.
  by philipmartin

The K cars, although shorter, resembled contemporary IRT cars, the Redbirds for instance.
  by philipmartin

[quote="R36 Combine Coach"Official tech drawings can be found here.[/quote]

I also looked at drawings of PRR locomotives, some with small photos, here. Thank you.