• The Railroad Press- Article on NYC Rail Traffic, NYAR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

The Railroad Press, a quarterly magazine I just picked up at Borders, has a large feature on NY metro area rail operations, past and present. Also a feature article on the New York & Atlantic Railway. Its worth a look.

by jayrmli

For those who aren't familiar with it, TRP is one of the finest magazines when it comes to displaying railroad photography. Not a bad shot in the bunch, printed on quality stock.

Jay

by badneighbor

I had never seen it before. considering the subscription....
  by BMT

The TRP issue dedicated to NY area railroading was refreshing and in my opinion long-overdue. It would be nice if railroading in these parts were covered on a regular basis instead of these 'Special issues' when you consider the huge and varied amount of rail ops that go on here. Subway (NYCT), commuter rail (LIRR/MetN/PATH), Shortline/Industrial (NYCH/NYA) really deserves an on-going section in these types of publications.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I must say I enjoyed the vintage and modern images in the issue.However, I noticed that three captions mis-identified their subject matter.

Page 20: SBK engine N2 is crossing 3RD AVE. and not 2nd (notice Gowanus Expressway overhead).

Page 22: Shot of MP-41s is not Jamaica Yard but CARLTON YARD (aka Atlantic Aveune Yard) near Flatbush Terminal.

Page 23: Shot of R-44s at Pitkin Yard should indicate that the train on the left is the original set (notice dark beltline which is the old blue-stripe) and the thrain on the right is the rebuilt (GOH) version (notice shiny rebuilt trucks?).

by jayrmli

I'm not sure of this issue, but TRP also did a New York City themed issue a few years ago as well.

Jay