• CSX New Hire Conductor (Manchester GA)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by USMCConductor

Hello everyone,
I am a new hire CSX Conductor and will be working in Manchester, GA. Just wanted to know if anyone works at this location or has any information about this area. I am transitioning from the Marine Corps to a career on the railroad. I am relocating from Jacksonville, Florida and also looking for nice areas somewhat close to Manchester for a family. I have visited these forums quite frequently and have gathered alot of helpful information that has made my transition successful. Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.
  by matawanaberdeen

Yes, thank you for your service as well. I know you will get the answers you are looking for on here. Good luck in your new position!
  by Freddy

USMCConductor wrote:Hello everyone,
I am a new hire CSX Conductor and will be working in Manchester, GA. Just wanted to know if anyone works at this location or has any information about this area. I am transitioning from the Marine Corps to a career on the railroad. I am relocating from Jacksonville, Florida and also looking for nice areas somewhat close to Manchester for a family. I have visited these forums quite frequently and have gathered alot of helpful information that has made my transition successful. Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.
I worked in signals with CSX around there. It's a nice, clean quiet town. Typical southern Georgia. Get with a good real estate broker and mention you're with CSX and they'll point you
toward the right area of town.
  by USMCConductor

Thanks guys.
I am very excited to start my new career at CSX. I am working with a real estate agent now and looking for homes in the LaGrange area.
  by peterbilt22

Put in app for conductor in Manchester. .they're looking to fill 5 positions. .what is the work like? I live in Atlanta and did you find a place to stay?
  by TotalLamer

Just wanted to mention... I've looked into transferring to Manchester (DEEPLY furloughed in Charlotte right now and I stand for ~30 turns in Manchester) and apparently so many people are trying to qualify there right now there's a FOUR MONTH WAITING LIST. Crazy! Something like 11 Engineers and 15 Conductors.
  by peterbilt22

Is Manchester a big yard? Do you know how the Atlanta area is? Thanks
  by TotalLamer

peterbilt22 wrote:Is Manchester a big yard? Do you know how the Atlanta area is? Thanks
Oh no, Manchester's yard is tiny. But they're midway between a lot of important places so they run trains all over the place. It's ALL road there, little to no yard jobs.

As for Atlanta... it's a big city. A really big one. There's good parts and bad parts.
  by peterbilt22

TotalLamer wrote:
peterbilt22 wrote:Is Manchester a big yard? Do you know how the Atlanta area is? Thanks
Oh no, Manchester's yard is tiny. But they're midway between a lot of important places so they run trains all over the place. It's ALL road there, little to no yard jobs.

As for Atlanta... it's a big city. A really big one. There's good parts and bad parts.
Thanks for the response. .but I live in tt Atlanta area..I have 2 apps on file for Atlanta and Manchester. Wanted to knw if the Atlanta yard has assorted work? Thanks
  by USMCConductor

Peterbilt, I ended up moving to Lagrange. I toured the area and decided LaGrange was where i wanted to live. Manchester is a crew change point with a very small yard. There may be 2 or 3 yard jobs being held by someone with 20+ years of seniority. Most of the guys down there work on the extra board and work on the road. I know Atlanta has a pretty big yard with alot of yard jobs as well as road jobs. I am in my last week of training at the REDI and will be reporting to Manchester in a week to begin my OJT. I am still learning so I couldn't tell you a whole lot about the Atlanta terminal. Hope this info was helpful and feel free to ask me questions. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Best of luck on your job hunting.
  by peterbilt22

USMCConductor wrote:Peterbilt, I ended up moving to Lagrange. I toured the area and decided LaGrange was where i wanted to live. Manchester is a crew change point with a very small yard. There may be 2 or 3 yard jobs being held by someone with 20+ years of seniority. Most of the guys down there work on the extra board and work on the road. I know Atlanta has a pretty big yard with alot of yard jobs as well as road jobs. I am in my last week of training at the REDI and will be reporting to Manchester in a week to begin my OJT. I am still learning so I couldn't tell you a whole lot about the Atlanta terminal. Hope this info was helpful and feel free to ask me questions. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Best of luck on your job hunting.
Thanks 4 info but I got declined for Manchester. .still hav Atl and just did app for Fitzgerald
  by peterbilt22

7 positions for conductor opened 2day
Resubmitted app