Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Bureaucromancer

Is there a book, website or some other resource out there that gives a reasonably complete picture of VIA service and abandonment dates? The only books I've actually seen on VIA seem to be mostly photo collections, while web stuff I've found talks about how VIA was established, and talks about when major cutbacks were made, but I've yet to find a full list of routes taken over and when they were abandoned.
  by NS VIA FAN

Trains Magazine’s May 2003 issue had a “VIA Rail Atlas” for their Map of the Month article. A colour map showing VIA’s routes along with a chronological list when each started or was abandoned. Very detailed!
  by NH2060

NS VIA FAN wrote:Trains Magazine’s May 2003 issue had a “VIA Rail Atlas” for their Map of the Month article. A colour map showing VIA’s routes along with a chronological list when each started or was abandoned. Very detailed!
I remember this issue very well. Had a list of every type of equipment used, etc. The front cover had a picture of those VIA cardboard trains with the title: "Build This: A Government Railroad That Works". How ironic... :-P
  by timberley

I'd say your best options for books on VIA's history would be:

-Chris Greenlaw's "VIA Rail". It's an excellent collection of photos, but it does also provide a very good chronology of the origins of VIA, and cuts to VIA service over the years. http://www.amazon.ca/VIA-Rail-Christoph ... 0760325294

-Eric Gagnon's "Trackside with VIA: The First 35 Years". This book (and his two follow-ups) is a bit more focused on providing a detailed history of VIA's equipment and a plethora of consists, but he does also provide a very good history of the railway as well. Definitely a must-have as a reference book on VIA: http://newviarailbook.blogspot.ca/

I haven't seen the Trains article referenced by the others here, but I'm sure it would be worth finding as well.