• North to South America

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by Railroaded

Here's an off the wall question. I wasn't sure what forum to even post this in, but I was wondering if there is a railroad connection between North & South America? I know trains run through Canada, the US, & Mexico, but can they go further South ?
  by jogden

Currently, no. There have been various proposals for a rail link, but so far none have come to fruition. South of Mexico rail lines are different gauges and many countries' railroads are not connected with their neighbors.
  by Railroaded

I did read some on it. Seems, like you say, the gauges down in South America are different & the tracks don't always go to the right places for an international connecting system either. Some were industry specifc & a lot of them are now out of service due to changing markets, or war, or whatever. They just don't have a standard gauge, developed, modern system south of Mexico that could easily tie in with the rest of it.
  by Rockingham Racer

You might find the book entitled "The Old Patagonian Express" interesting. It's a travelogue of an individual's trek from Boston to South America [Tierra del Fuego?].
  by ExCon90

The author was Paul Theroux, if you want to look for it. An interesting read.
  by Greg Moore

ExCon90 wrote:The author was Paul Theroux, if you want to look for it. An interesting read.
I have it. I just need to read it one of these days.