Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Trainer

DutchRailnut wrote:With problems at 3 croosings and stop and warn in effect it slows things down
1848 is 6 minutes late, then because of that 1891 is 12 minutes late and because of that 1860 is 20 minutes late.
To amplify equipment comments from another thread:

Metro-North signal malfunctions threaten safety, adds time for Danbury Branch

"Metro-North has been working with the designer of the signal system, Alstom Signaling Inc. and the component manufacturer, Siemens Rail Automation, to fix the problem, but have not been able to eliminate the misfiring signals, Anders said."

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/M ... 205216.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Despite the drama in the headline, it seems to give a pretty solid explaination of the problems.
  by Clean Cab

The benefits of giving contracts to the lowest bidder.
  by MetroNorthRider098

Anyone know if any progress has been made on resolving these issues? Last I knew, 11 signals were out -- more than a few days ago, when it was just affecting Danbury. Metro-North has been quiet on the issue. Anyone here have any updates?
  by RearOfSignal

MetroNorthRider098 wrote:Anyone know if any progress has been made on resolving these issues? Last I knew, 11 signals were out -- more than a few days ago, when it was just affecting Danbury. Metro-North has been quiet on the issue. Anyone here have any updates?
The previous posts should answer that. See the news article that was linked in previous posts.
  by MetroNorthRider098

RearOfSignal wrote:
MetroNorthRider098 wrote:Anyone know if any progress has been made on resolving these issues? Last I knew, 11 signals were out -- more than a few days ago, when it was just affecting Danbury. Metro-North has been quiet on the issue. Anyone here have any updates?
The previous posts should answer that. See the news article that was linked in previous posts.
That's funny -- I was the one who pitched that story and provided a lot of the info for it. ( I'm the commuter who was quoted.) Guess I'm the most knowledgeable one here, then. Proves Metro-North's communication is terrible. The article was written days ago; that's not an update.
  by RearOfSignal

MetroNorthRider098 wrote:Guess I'm the most knowledgeable one here, then.
Yet you keep posting here?
  by DutchRailnut

MetroNorthRider098 Like I told you before this is a railfan site, the way you keep on crying about everything , makes me think you got this site confused.
this is not Jim Cameron's stir the pot and cry about every thing Metro North site, it can be found elsewhere.

try: http://media.wix.com/ugd/f1199f_cf181ec ... 6e1054.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , Jim has all answers........
  by runningwithscalpels

Haven't the crossing been screwed up in bits and pieces since most of the branch went live with signals? Why the stink now? Is it just because so many of the crossings have to be stop and warn that people are just beginning to notice and complain?
  by DutchRailnut

Connecticut voters elected Rowland, who severely underfunded rail operations in CT.
CDOT designed after multiple costly studies a signal system and chose a crossing system LIRR deemed as not working.
now several years into project, commuters are getting delays, so it must be Metro North's fault /? well according to Jim Cameron a former wannabee rejected by Governor Molloy ??
Why is Media listening to a transportation war monger who has all his facts wrong and is rejected by all except the media ?? Ohh I forgot did anyone mention Jim is a Media Consultant ???
translate that into someone who can't get a real full time job ??

governor Rell had balls to order the M-8's, with stipulation that Commuters were to pay for these cars, yet Jim did not get that memo and continuous to play dumb when fares are raised and blames Metro North ????

is anyone smoking same sh*t that Jim is smoking ??
  by lirr42

Jimbo has become insufferable lately. He thinks he's getting things moving by having people constantly bicker and complain about little tiny things without knowing the real facts behind the situations.

If anything, Metro-North should just wake up one morning and turn back every train at Port Chester. Let Conneticut keep their share of the fleet to do what they want, but put a bunch of derails right on the NY/CT border and cut Conneticut out of the equation entirely.

That would make them truly appreciate Metro-North.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

So...is it just the funky crossing system that's glitchy or does the entire signal package on the line have inherent limitations or inflexibility that may or may not be the result of a cheap-out on the design?
  by DutchRailnut

Just the crossings and the traffic light interface, are they working on it ?? probably lots of new cable spools parked near signal boxes, but problem is currently the ground and sleeves the cable is in are frozen.
Danbury Branch uses crossing predictors that will sense a trains speed on approach, LIRR found the system to be highly problematic in commuter service yet CDOT wanted them.
The Signals work fine.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Yuck. I hope the crossing detection was an Amtrak design decision for the Springfield Line and not something CDOT forced.
  by truck6018

lirr42 wrote:Jimbo has become insufferable lately. He thinks he's getting things moving by having people constantly bicker and complain about little tiny things without knowing the real facts behind the situations.

If anything, Metro-North should just wake up one morning and turn back every train at Port Chester. Let Conneticut keep their share of the fleet to do what they want, but put a bunch of derails right on the NY/CT border and cut Conneticut out of the equation entirely.

That would make them truly appreciate Metro-North.
If Metro North turned their trains at Port Chester then they would not be holding up their end of the contract with CDOT and people could legitimately complain about Metro North. Right now complaining about Metro North is a convenience even though the true problem lies with the State of Connecticut and CDOT.

One of the other threads made me start thinking, Governor Malloy is taking credit in his press release in the substation upgrades. One the flip side when things go wrong why is it always Metro North?
  by lirr42

DutchRailnut wrote:Just the crossings and the traffic light interface, are they working on it ?? probably lots of new cable spools parked near signal boxes, but problem is currently the ground and sleeves the cable is in are frozen.
Danbury Branch uses crossing predictors that will sense a trains speed on approach, LIRR found the system to be highly problematic in commuter service yet CDOT wanted them.
The Signals work fine.
The LIRR put crossing predictors in near Sayville in the 1990's. They were temperamental at first, but they work okay now.

I don't see how much difference predictors actually make in local traffic. It would be nice if you had a crossing on a big highway, but for some local town roads, it's not worth it.