• Railroad life detrimental to your health?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by WhiskeyBravo270

Hello. Will be starting UP train crew training on 2/3. Gave notice at current job last week. One of my mgrs. mentioned that another former employee had worked for the railroad; she said both of his ankles had to be replaced because life on the railroad was that rough on the body. I think she referred to getting on and off of the trains. Is this what the future holds for my legs?

I understand the railroad can be physically demanding. I try to stay in shape and keep my BMI where it should be. What are some of the adverse health affects that are pretty much inevitable after making a career with the railroad? You would think most practices have been perfected and no harm will come to your body if you execute your duties safely. Thanks.
  by dannyh1977

I don't think that they can completely replace an ankle, can they? You are thinking about the job again, huh? I start tomorrow in Chicago.

One could say that any and all jobs are detrimental to ones health, right? It's all relative. Don't worry, WB.

Once again, with all due respect!!!!
  by Desertdweller

She just didn't want to lose you as an employee. I've never heard of anyone getting their ankles replaced, doubt if there even is such a thing.

It is possible to lose feet or legs if you are careless. Obey the safety rules and you'll be OK.

Some roads forbid getting on or off moving equipment.

Les
  by slchub

It is what you make of it. No doubt she though the employee in question had their knees replaced. Back in the day you were allowed to get on/off of a moving car/locomotive. That is hard on your knees. Imagine jumping off the 2nd or 3rd step of a ladder for 6-8 hours a day for a few years. You body would start to give out. The railroads have done away with that. You only get on/off once the equipment has stopped.

I wouldn't worry so much about your knees/ankles as I would the mental challenge of getting enough rest given a 24/7/365 schedule (some mandatory rest periods are provided). Also eating at Penny's diner at the Oak Tree Inn will do more harm to your belly/pancreas than you think.

Maintain a positive attitute, work smarter, not harder and be safe. The railroad has pretty much made the workplace a turtle run anymore due to safety constraints and that pretty much negates the injuries from years past.
  by COEN77

Pretty much whatever the others have mentioned. There was a short time frame where ankles did get a lot of abuse when some railroads went cheap on using baseball sized ballast on the yard leads. That practice ended after some FELA lawsuits now the railroads are back to using a crush run on top of the bigger ballast. Personally I enjoyed the fast pace of when we were getting on/off moving equipment it was something to watch switching out cars in the yard. Today with reduced crew sizes not a good idea no one has your back anymore. Getting rest is most important issue now a days. Bigger locomotives these days a lot of back & neck issues a lot more strain having to streech looking back at the train. Try and eat healthy carry a cooler bring things to compensate for all those meals at "The Greasy Spoon" which was the name of a place in Walbridge, Ohio that railroaders frequented.