• Proposed Tunnel - Bay Ridge to New Jersey

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

Can any one here provide me with links or information regurding the estimated costs of this tunnle, and whom will be paying for it, and any other related information

-Thanks-

by Otto Vondrak

Is this a real proposal on the books, or your own idea?

-otto-

by Sir Ray

Start Here: http://www.crossharborstudy.com/addressing.htm

Now, I have heard costs of 7 billion (quite plausible), and that some financing was to come from higher tolls on trucks - see here: http://www.tollroadsnews.com/cgi-bin/a. ... W6r2jfFwDw
(Warning: Highly partisan site (pro-truck), with many. many questionable assumptions - read with a cautious attitude.

by Long Island 7285

thanks alot

by Long Island 7285

Otto,

I dont know where you have been,

But this was at one time in a newspaper and i even herd it on TV once.

this is not my LIRR dream here, its a political proposal like everything else in this area.

should it get done? yea. will it get done? just like ESA probly not in out lifetime.

by Otto Vondrak

Oh sure, there have been cross-harbor rail tunnel propsals on the books for the last 100 years. I didnt know if you were referring to a specific new proposal or not.

-otto-

by badneighbor

I know we've been down these threads before, I just cannot believe how the mighty interstate system and the big bad highways of Mr. R. Moses were originally seen as the alternative to rail traffic to get product in and out of this NY metro area.

How in the time since these big roads were built the various freight railroads shrunk, merged, sputtered, died, were CPR'd back to life in the name of Conrail, split again into CSX and NS. All during this time the rails rusted and the whole infrastructure rotted and fell apart, or was taken apart and paved over. The whole thing has gone full circle, because now we are looking for alternate ways to ship everything in and out of the area.

It amazes me how tough it is now to get rails laid anywhere. I understand the lines were pulled in the past because of non-use, and duplication after various mergers and all...

This Cross Harbor Tunnel, 100 years ago when RR Barons ruled the land, should have been done.

Then they just did it...
now we have to fight
1. environmentalists (who are worried about killing a blade of rare grass- at the expense of tons of diesel soot on the BQE and Staten Island.
2. contractors, lowballing bids, battling over inferior materials, fighting over unions vs. day laborers
3. battles over Granny Jones' back yard that needs to be condemned for the access tracks
4. politicians, GOP support might be tough to fund this in such a Democratic region
5.the idea that the government is expected to foot this bill, when in the past the NYC bought the High Line through Manhattan, and the Pennsy built Penn Station in Manhattan
6. how the supposed experts will say the low usage of the floats show that there isnt enough traffic to warrant a tunnel...

Why is this country so afraid of progress, and why cant things that need to be done...GET DONE?

We need this tunnel more than the Jets need a stadium.

by mark777

There was an article about this a few weeks ago in the AM New York newspaper dated April 12 titled Tunnel Vision. It speaks of a proposed tunnel for freight trains between NJ and Maspeth Queens. Of course, you have to add in politics into the mix as well as your NIMBY's and you get an idea of where this project is going. Mayor Bloomberg seems to be against it, but if Guiliani should run for Governor, and wins, the project might just see the light of day since he was a key supporter of the project when he was mayor. The cost for the tunnel will seem to come from the pockets of the PA. It's purpose seems more to be for the purpose of diverting cargo ships to the Brooklyn piers and to use freight trains for delivery of products, thereby slashing the amount of trucks that travel on NYC roads, Bridges and tunnels. It is also meant to be of great importance to the LI economy by eliminating the strong dependence on truck use (even though LIRR tracks still remain to be quite a distance from many companies who depend on trucks to deliver them goods). It would be nice to see though.

by Long Island 7285

Mark,

I totally agree,

Whats going to happen when the roads are going to be unsafe to drive on because there are too many trucks where they are really not needed.

do you guys just love these buildings that are trackside and get trucking and no rail, or get no transportation at all when buidlings and business that can get rail freight should be brought it,

as i see it, the govt should be punished for alowing trucking to almost wipe out the railfreight indusrty, they should pay for the relocation for businesses that are in a building that can be used for rail freight business.

its not the busines's fault its the government because they did nothing to stop moses and later Esinzenhower form pushing this trucking industry to over take the railroads. no one then said sotp so it got out of had and now we have a major mess that they now have to figure out how to clean it up.

expansion of parkways and interstates in the NEC is out of the question, there is not much room left. we have enough we just need to better use out current sources to there fullest.

by badneighbor

There are too many complainers in this area. It would benefit the NY metro area so much, but all anyone wants to do is cover the West Side Yard with a football stadium, when our priority should be quality of life, which could be enhanced by making the traffic nightmare better. Most people don't even concern themselves with transportation issues until they are sitting on the BQE, Belt Parkway, or Cross Bronx Expressway. Most people I know are surprised to hear there is any freight moved by rail here anymore. I have heard neighbors complain that it seems dangerous that LPG tankers roll through here on the way to Bridgehampton. I ask them how this could be better if the LPG were carried in trucks. No one understands the safety is better on rail. No one cares if it isnt in their view, and no one cares until they are stuck on the LIE.

by Long Island 7285

No one cares if it isnt in their view, and no one cares until they are stuck on the LIE.
No one cares till a politician gets killed or his or her family member gets killed, thats the only way you will see improvment in transportation.

political figure or relation gets killed = transportation improvment