• Questions about the yard at East Deerfield

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gawlikfj

Is there still a big Guilford rail yard in the area of Deerfield Mass.?

by NRGeep

Yes.

by NellsChoo

Oh my, yes. You can see a lot from the "railfan" bridge, or park off of the road, being carefull not to get too close. You can get a nice satellite view by going to www.maps.google.com, searching for EAST DEERFIELD, then use the zoom and pan features to see the yard. ** I got that tip from a fellow forum user :wink:

Jonelle

by NellsChoo

Nice link! ;-) And they worry about railfans being terrorists with cameras when all they need is something like this to pinpoint great spots to blow up a railroad...

ANYHOO, Deerfield is a haul from where we live, but the trip is usually worth it.
  by aaronnmonica

my hubby and I live in exeter nh and love Guilford trains . We have made the trip down to deerfield , mass and loved it ... My hubby Aaron and I ( Monica) have an 8 yr old son ( john ) and he loved it . It was about a 2 hr trip but well worth it .. We will be making the trip to Selkirk Ny in june. I have been looking around and found Rigby yard in Main.

Does anyone know any others around mass, maine , nh ?

by SLR 393

You might try Danville Jct in Auburn, ME - you get Guilford and SLR action, and Lewiston Junction is only a mile or two away. There is usually something moving on the weekends.

by CN9634

Waterville, Millinocket, and Northern Maine Junction are good ones, but there a ways up. You can go to Richmond or Farhnam Quebec too.

by slotcanyoneer

There's also Lawrence yard in Lawrence, MA. It isn't a huge yard but there is often alot of action going on with Guilford, MBCR, and Amtrak downeaster trains.