• Olean Erie station

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by john56

When conrail destroyed this landmark in the late 80's (why?) were any of the old baggage carts saved ? Anyone know whatever happened to them.There were at least four of them and they were always kept outside under the open pagoda at the west end of the station.They were the old vintage carts with the big iron wheels.
  by scottychaos

Dont know anything about the carts..
john56 wrote:When conrail destroyed this landmark in the late 80's (why?)
Most likely one of these reasons, or a combination of two or more:

1. They didnt need it.
2. No one wanted to buy it.
3. it was in bad shape.
4. you have to pay property taxes on a standing structure, even if you arent using it..you dont pay property taxes on a building you tear down.

Same reasons any building gets torn down really..

and "landmark" is subjective..doesnt look like anything special or unusual, compared to other stations:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/bldg/olean-sta.jpg
(photo from 1975)

Scot
  by ExCon90

Two more possible reasons:

5. Sooner or later, vandals and derelicts will set fire to it and it will have to be torn down anyway.
6. A trespasser will get hurt and sue the railroad because a vandal stole the "No Trespassing" sign.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Conrail demolished many stations during the early 80s. Narrowsburg, Tusten (what shelter it had), Deposit are good examples. The people around Tusten described it as literally overnight demolition.
  by john56

I would agree that "landmark would be subjective" However,in the years since,I've spoken with more than a few people in Olean who felt strongly that it was a community landmark (as did I ),both physically and emotionally.And was there ever any serious effort made to find a buyer or make any effort at preservation , and for how long.I personally thought this building was something special,especially in the context of Olean,which has lost so many of it's landmarks.I suppose if you really want to you can use almost any rationale to destroy landmarks (potential for fire,vandalism,can't find a buyer etc.)There are many who would just as soon demolish Buffalo Central Terminal for those reasons.
  by jr

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I just discovered it.

1) It was not in bad shape at all. In fact, Conrail had put a new roof and new storm windows on it, a few years prior to its demolition.

2) "Somebody" did want it. My understanding is that a prominent local real estate magnate made inquiries (second hand info, take it for what it's worth)

3) Like Tusten, it was also torn down "overnight". Conrail hired a crew from quite some distance away. They arrived early one morning, I believe a Saturday, and had the building leveled in less than a day. In fact, it might have been gone by Noon. Not long before the deed was done, a Conrail official was quoted in the local paper, saying that Conrail had "no immediate plans" for disposing the building (caveat - going from 25 year old memories here).

4) "Landmark" might be subjective to some, but it was most certainly considered as such, to many in Olean, and North Olean in particular. The daily arrival and departure of Erie passenger trains were still an "Event", even into the 60s. Conrail made no friends in Olean the day they tore that building down.

JR