• New Kenmore busway design?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by iandavid

Has anyone seen the design plans for the new busway at Kenmore? The T is usually pretty good about publishing at least some sort of artist's rendering for projects that will have a major impact on the aesthetics of a station, but I have yet to see anything for this one.

Maybe there's something on the architect's web site, although I'm not sure who that is. Any info this forum could offer would be appreciated.

by efin98

I think right now they are still finalizing the plans for the station and figuring out how to coordinate the demolition and rerouting of pedestrians and passengers with the baseball schedule. The T doesn't seem to be in a big hurry, they can't really get things going until October at the earliest.

by ckb

See http://architecturalboston.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=51 for pictures (unknown origin or accuracy).

I can't believe that the MBTA would demolish the busway and create a temporary (and quite inconvenient) busway/busstop area on Beacon St. now, while they are still finalizing plans and waiting to begin in October. Is that really what you are implying, Mr. Fin?

The new station entrance project proceeded during baseball season. (it was something to be worked around, yes, but it didn't prevent construction)

by efin98

ckb wrote:See http://architecturalboston.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=51 for pictures (unknown origin or accuracy).
That doesn't look like it will be anything like the final design, looks more like a concept design. I hope that isn't hte final design, the busway is a horrid replacement for the current busway!

I can't believe that the MBTA would demolish the busway and create a temporary (and quite inconvenient) busway/busstop area on Beacon St. now, while they are still finalizing plans and waiting to begin in October. Is that really what you are implying, Mr. Fin?
They already have it posted online that they are rerouting the buses out of Kenmore for the renovations and they have no choice but to move them to the streets around Kenmore during the construction. One of the hazards of having the busway in the middle of an awkwardly designed square is that inconvenience but at least it's only temporary and probably only for the aboveground renovations.

The new station entrance project proceeded during baseball season. (it was something to be worked around, yes, but it didn't prevent construction)
Phase 1 of the renovations, now the next phase is the busway with the platforms and mezzanine as the third and fourth phases. The stairs are the easiest to do and had to get done first, now they move on to the next phase.

by octr202

I attended a meeting where the MBTA gave a presentation on new station designs, and they made it seem like that was the final design for Kenmore. This was close to a year ago, but they presented those drawings as the selected design.

I have not followed this since then, though, to see if there have been changes made.

by trigonalmayhem

the T seems to be awfully fond of those wavy arching designs for bus shelters these days. Let's just hope that this version provides better shelter from the elements than the waste-of-money silver line shelters do.

by efin98

trigonalmayhem wrote:the T seems to be awfully fond of those wavy arching designs for bus shelters these days. Let's just hope that this version provides better shelter from the elements than the waste-of-money silver line shelters do.
The arch is the strongest design out there, and sine it's meant to be shelter the slope is a big benefit. Now if the shelter doesn't overhang the platform that pretty much negates the whole concept all together but I don't think the T would make that mistake since they have to show it off on Patriots day :wink: