Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tommy Meehan

Haha

I thought of this thread too. It was supposed to be Q704 the trash train that derailed. Only 24 cars long? I don't see it all the time anymore but that seems small for the trash train.
  by Backshophoss

MSW in this weather will turn ripe and smell bad real quick! :(
The City (possibly) requires this stuff get sent out ASAP during the summer months!
  by fl9m2004

Any idea if providence and worcester CT2 is on a set schedule Monday-Friday
Or is it as needed?
Trying to see it tonight around quarter to midnight after 1890 goes up Danbury branch
  by ccutler

I saw the very large Croton West [right name?] freight yard on Saturday. It was filled with...7...freight cars. There were more tracks than freight cars in it. 4 refrigerator cars, 1 lumber, 2 insulated box cars.

Sure is hard running a real industry in NY State...
  by AMK0123

That seems to be the norm for the past few years when I've gone by. I'm not sure what customers are on line south of there, but to the north there is a customer in Peekskill that takes tank cars and a lumber yard in Chelsea that takes Box car/lumber cars. The only other customer they had was a metal recycling customer in Poughkeepsie (CNE yard) but they haven't received any cars in at least three years. The only time you see more cars in Croton is when a S/B train outlaws or when they store extra garbage cars in the yard...
  by Backshophoss

Croton west yard was the "holding tank" for GM Plant in Tarrytown when it was still an active plant,there was a small industrial yard
south of Tarrytown Station(and an AMERICAN FREEDOM TRAIN display site,without the steam engine)
Croton west is the interchange point with CSX for most MNR equipment deliveries/shipments.
  by ccutler

Went by West Croton Yard today, took two photos.

There were about 13 freight cars in the yard today. Most of the box cars look like insulated box cars to my amateur eye. The real fun was with the kids playing ball. As usual the large yard was almost entirely empty.

I also took a photo of one of the trash containers dropped off near the northern edge of the yard, along the running path. This container appears to be a new model. I am guessing they were left there following a certain derailment that happened in the Bronx a few months ago, though I am not entirely sure.
  by FLRailFan1

ccutler wrote:Went by West Croton Yard today, took two photos.

There were about 13 freight cars in the yard today. Most of the box cars look like insulated box cars to my amateur eye. The real fun was with the kids playing ball. As usual the large yard was almost entirely empty.

I also took a photo of one of the trash containers dropped off near the northern edge of the yard, along the running path. This container appears to be a new model. I am guessing they were left there following a certain derailment that happened in the Bronx a few months ago, though I am not entirely sure.
The kids were playing ball IN the yard?? If they were, the parents should be told that Freight yards are NOT PLAYGROUNDS. That said, great pictures you took.
  by Backshophoss

Seems like part of the yard was turned into green space in the past,after GM left Tarrytown in the lurch. :(