• Lucky Grab in Hackettstown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CNJ Fan 4evr

Yesterday(Oct. 8) I was in Hackettstown and decided to go by the NJT station to see if anything was coming in. As I approached the parking lot the gates went down. I looked east and didn't see a train ....BUT..... The Dover job had just stopped west of the crossing and then backe dup to clear circuit. The crew was walking up the street. Leading was M&E Alco C424 #18. I had to get that one on tape. I hung around until the 11:55 NJT train was supposed to arrive. I knew the Dover job wasn't going anywhere until after them .NJT train with new dual-mode unit arrived 10 mins. late. Was only there long enough for them to switch operating ends and they were gone. IMHO those new units are the most God-awful looking things.Look like a cab over truck combined with a bus.
Anyway, right after the NJT train had cleared the block, the Dover job headed east. Not bad for just going to look at the schedule and see if I could catch something.
On way home got NS local in Washington ,after my buddy texted me. That train goes so slow now it is ridiculous.I waited over a half hour after driving almost 20 minutes from H'town. Had #712 leading a GP 40.Not a bad day for just screwing around and wasting time.