• Questions about Readfield, Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by nygiants21

for readfield, me, i have some knowledge but a few questions:

i know that there's the siding that breaks off after the Plains Road crossing and there is two tracks all the way to Main St (route 17) via the luce rd. crossing. i know the line is very active, but if the siding is used, which track is the active mainline and which is the siding. what is this siding used for, as there are no block signals.

how MUCH action does readfield get on a reg basis (e.g. 1 a day, 2 a day)?

by MEC407

I don't know that particular area of Maine, but I would say that the track with the shinier rails is probably the main, and the track with the rustier rails is the siding. If both tracks are equally rusty, that makes it more difficult to figure out which is which. :wink:
  by rrman

nygiants21 wrote:for readfield, me, i have some knowledge but a few questions:

i know that there's the siding that breaks off after the Plains Road crossing and there is two tracks all the way to Main St (route 17) via the luce rd. crossing. i know the line is very active, but if the siding is used, which track is the active mainline and which is the siding. what is this siding used for, as there are no block signals.

how MUCH action does readfield get on a reg basis (e.g. 1 a day, 2 a day)?
They had a derailment few years ago, actually ripped up one end of the siding, closest to the store, i count about 4-6 trains a day on average.