• Geometry train w/ Amtrak's Corridor Clipper

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

Anybody know what the geometry train on the MBTA is for?

Sunday night it supposedly had :

MBTA Loco#1010
MBTA Coach #257
Amtrak's Corridor Clipper
MBTA Control Car 1524

Supposedly the Readville switcher took this set with a couple other coaches to the North Side last night..............anybody know anything?

by MEC407

It might be headed for the Downeaster route to evaluate the recent rail grinding job.

by ST214

No, it is making it's annual visit to the MBTA system. Should be working the Northside now, as it has been on the Southside.
  by wlord

It's due to check the Guilford track from Plaistow to Exeter, NH later this week.

The Downeaster needs to get the speed up on the recently ground track and the Geometry Car work will tell the story.

Bill
Last edited by wlord on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by arsenall79

I saw that train heading out the Fitchburg line yesterday morning...If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is that train used for? Is it pretty much a "track-testing" train?

by ST214

Yes, it is a track testing car.

I knew it was on the MBTA system, and i should have thought it would go on the Downeaster route, as it did last year after it finished the MBTA system.
  by GP40MC1118

It finished the Northside lines today. It's going north to Portland on 687 tonight.

D

by ST214

Is it coming right back in the morning, and then going back to Amtrak???

by CSX Conductor

ST214 wrote:Is it coming right back in the morning, and then going back to Amtrak???
It would make sense for it to be set-out at SouthHampton Street tonight when the DownEasterset is there for service...............then the Clipper might be put on the rear of a Regional for the morining.