Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by merrick1

truck6018 wrote:Why is it that people keep armchair quarterbacking this to death with the why can't this be don't and why not this??? Doesn't any one read the previous posts? If you all have the answers apply to Metro North and then you can potentially run the show! Further more, even though there are some very well educated individuals on this message boards, it is still a rail buff forum! If you want the "official" answers, call the company.
What's wrong with "arm chair quarterbacking?" None of the people who criticize professional athletes could do a better job. Why should railfans be any different from football fans?
  by motor

I don't know if this has been answered back up the thread, but if it's electric from New Haven to Stamford, then diesel to GCT, does this mean a two-seat ride?

Also, are Danbury and New Canaan passengers transferring at Stamford?

*Also*, where do bustitute passengers from Waterbury transfer?

motor
  by Clean Cab

TCurtin wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:Con Ed is going to try to back feed the 13,000 VAC from Harrison Station. If this is successful it could mean some electric trains could resume operating. But there would not be enough juice to allow for a normal number of trains. And even the ones that do operate would have to use no more than 50% power consumption while operating in the affected section. I guess its better than nothing.
As of the 11:00 news on WCBS ch. 2 last night there was NO mention of this being done. perhaps they are being guaudedly quiet about it?
Why do you think they're setting up all that equipment in Harrison if they're not going to try it? Despite what channel 2 says, Con Ed crews are working as fast as possible to set up a temporary feed to the overhead wires that may lead to limited electrical service resuming by this weekend.
  by JimBoylan

motor wrote:if it's electric from New Haven to Stamford, then diesel to GCT, does this mean a two-seat ride?
Also, are Danbury
and New Canaan passengers transferring at Stamford?
*Also*, where do bustitute passengers from Waterbury transfer?
Looking at the schedule,
Yes
Except for 3 through trains each way, change at Norwalk
Yes
Bridgeport, since no Stratford time is shown.
  by Tommy Meehan

lirr42 wrote:Mr. Meehan, I don't think getting permission from any sort of municipality will be an issue. Would you like to be the elected official that is holding up the commutes of hundreds of thousands of New Haven Line riders!? ;-)
I understand what you're saying. But these are high-power cables we're talking about. If they're going to put them in along or near a public street or in a public area then the town and/or county also has a responsibility for the public's safety. They can't ignore that simply because it might inconvenience New Haven Line commuters.

I don't see it as any kind of inconvenience. I wasn't trying to raise an issue I was simply commenting.

Btw I've told you this before. Mr. Meehan was my father. I'm Tommy. :-)
  by truck6018

merrick1 wrote: What's wrong with "arm chair quarterbacking?" None of the people who criticize professional athletes could do a better job. Why should railfans be any different from football fans?
Then maybe they should look through the previous posts and see if their expert suggestion was already addressed.
  by Ridgefielder

Tommy Meehan wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Mr. Meehan, I don't think getting permission from any sort of municipality will be an issue. Would you like to be the elected official that is holding up the commutes of hundreds of thousands of New Haven Line riders!? ;-)
I understand what you're saying. But these are high-power cables we're talking about. If they're going to put them in along or near a public street or in a public area then the town and/or county also has a responsibility for the public's safety. They can't ignore that simply because it might inconvenience New Haven Line commuters.
Just judging by the photos posted farther back in the thread, but it looks like they're setting up the temporary transformers etc. at a point where an existing high voltage ConEd line is adjacent to the ROW-- so they won't be stringing much if any new line.
  by MNCRR9000

Ridgefielder wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:
Just judging by the photos posted farther back in the thread, but it looks like they're setting up the temporary transformers etc. at a point where an existing high voltage ConEd line is adjacent to the ROW-- so they won't be stringing much if any new line.
WTNH mentioned that ConEd is going to power the transformers from regular residential lines.
http://touch.wtnh.com/20000/99449854/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Ken W2KB

MNCRR9000 wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:
WTNH mentioned that ConEd is going to power the transformers from regular residential lines.
http://touch.wtnh.com/20000/99449854/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The required flashover/safety clearances are such that running a 138kV line over streets is almost certainly not practicable. In general anything 100kV or higher (i.e., transmission class voltages) requires a private right of way and cannot be run along streets for that reason. That is probably the major factor in using primary service at 13kV and stepping it up to 26kV. My guess is that one mobile substation has a 138kV to 13kV transformer and the other a 138kV to 26kV transformer. (4, 13 and 26kV are typical distribution primary voltages.) The transformers probably will be connected from ConEd's circuit - 13||138 --- 138||26 - to the catenary. ConEd would have had to do a capacity study for its 13kV circuits near the railroad. Electric traction load is highly inductive and varying and can cause substantial transients (spikes and dips) for other customers on the 13kV circuit. I wonder if any of those will be asked to curtail power use? Also, the railroad dispatchers and ConEd power dispatchers will probably be in constant contact to ensure the 13kV's circuit's rating is not exceeded.

I can't speak to NY specifically, but in NJ the State Board of Public Utilities has exclusive jurisdiction over placement of electric utility distribution facilities along streets. The municipalities can provide comments and concerns to the NJBPU but cannot regulate the utilities or placement. (Municipal landuse ordinances can regulate placement of substations, as they are on private property, under the zoning code, but the NJBPU can override those if it finds that is in the public interest). I suspect that the NYPSC has similar authority.
  by Amtrak7

I'm confused. Are they hooking the temp transformer directly to the catenary? If so, why are they feeding it 26kv when the trains run on 12.5kv?
  by Railhead

I was wondering the same
I did a little research on the net
usually voltage from utility supplied at 115KV
to a auto transformer that steps it down to 27KV
the transformer has a center tap
that can supply 12.5KV
so by supplying 26KV they should be able to obtain 12.5KV

look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven_Line" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

under traction power systems
  by hcobin

The input for the transformer in Harrison is coming from a cable beneath the street. It's the same 13 kv source that's supplying the surrounding neighborhood. A series of poles were being installed to lead a cable from the transformer to the catenary.H.F.C.
  by Travelsonic

CTRailfan wrote:Also, does anyone have any YouTube videos or pictures from this mess? There have to be tons of Amtrak diesel videos, videos of New Haven Line gear on the other two lines, and all sorts of other weird stuff going on...
Been trainspotting at Mamaroneck on Wednesday, gonna be later today, and hope to keep my eyes peeled and get interesting stuff, should any pop up, on video. :-D
  by Amtrak7

hcobin wrote:The input for the transformer in Harrison is coming from a cable beneath the street. It's the same 13 kv source that's supplying the surrounding neighborhood. A series of poles were being installed to lead a cable from the transformer to the catenary.H.F.C.
I hope that the underground cable doesn't overload and/or overheat...