• Super Detailing an F7A

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by AmtrakPhill629

How can you super detail an F7A in ho scale made by bachmann?

by astrosa

Step 1: Study lots of photos showing the prototype you're modeling, and take note of any unusual details. Also, try checking the magazine index at http://www.trains.com for detailing articles in back issues of MR and other magazines.

Step 2: Order the F-unit super detailing kits from Detail Associates and Details West. Search for these on the Walthers website - I'm not exactly sure of their contents, but they should pretty much have you covered for standard parts. My experience (regarding the AMD-103 detail kits made by the same two companies) is that Detail Associates includes general parts like grab irons and MU connectors, while Details West gives you various types of piping and other specialized parts.

Step 3: Once you find out what details you'll be getting in those kits, order any additional parts from those and other manufacturers. Again, search the Walthers website to find parts appropriate for F-units.

This is generally the process you should always follow when detailing any piece of equipment. The most important step is the careful research to find out exactly what you need to do, the rest is just a matter of adding the necessary parts. There may be some question as to who makes certain detail parts, but you should be able to identify what you need by comparing your model to photos.

by Otto Vondrak

Phil, apparently you didnt understand atrosa's post above. Find photos of REAL F-units (you'll have to pick one, since there are no NYY F7's out there), you can do a google search for that (there are millions of pictures of F units out there), determine exactly what parts you want to add, and buy the appropriate parts, then install them. Is it possible to superdetail an F7? Yes. You can superdetail any model, how you go about it is up to you.

-otto-

by AmtrakPhill629

thanks

by AmtrakPhill629

Here is a picture of the start of my Super detail project on the F7A

A:\IMG_0042.jpg

by astrosa

You can't link to a file that's stored on your hard drive. You'll have to upload the photo to some server like Webshots in order for us to be able to see it.

by astrosa

Another problem: the page you linked to is only accessible by the owner of the album, i.e. you. Try to log out and then go to your album so you can get a correct link that will work for us.

by stuart_iowa

well not sure what there is to super detail on that baseball locomotive.
anything you add to it will have to be painted and risk damaging the locomotive if you wish to keep it as a collectors item.
second i am not sure it is worth the cost of super detailing, I do not think it is a spectrum model put out by bachmann but I am not positive.
does it have fly wheels? are all wheels powered ? is it all wheel drive?

if it does not have those features I think you will be spending more money on details then it is worth to do.

You might want to see about getting a better model that has those features I listed above before you go too far into this project.
but do as you wish and have fun

by AmtrakPhill629

The locomotive is from the Spectrum Series it features
• 5-pole skew wound motor
• dual flywheels
• smooth gear mechanism
• die-cast split chassis
• all-wheel pickup

http://community.webshots.com/user/msba641

by stuart_iowa

well then your in luck. there is no actual model that I know of in the real world that looks like that model so you can add as many details as you can afford to add.

if I was to detail such a unit
i would add the following

new horns
lighted number boards
kadee couplers
mu hoses
grab irons
the rubber thing that connects the locomotive to the door of the unit behind it ( such good technial terms today being used)
better ladders
antennas
that would be just a starting point.
enjoy it

i am sure other modellers would have other ideas

by AmtrakPhill629

Thanks for you advice stuart