• Rochester Yard Derailment [Photos] - 4/19

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:That's interesting- anyone have pics of the old bridge? the new bridge is a pretty good place to shoot afternoon westbounds from...

-otto-
Yup... as well as Eastbound too...

However... if you railfanning there, you violated the rule...
by railfanning between MP381 and MP361..
Because... you are going to miss couple of trains on westshore. If you are along westshore, you miss A LOT MORE on chicago line...

LOL

ken
True, Chili Jct or Fairport Jct allows the opportunity to 'fan both the Chicago Line and the West Shore, but the Goodman St yard can be interesting. I used to live on Park Ave (9/95-10/99), so it was an easy walk from my apartment. Just as an example, I photographed a FGLK GP-9 there (with the moon rising over it) in the summer of '97. On occasion, R&S would send a switcher over there to drop off some cars, and it would stay in the yard overnite so it could return to R&S with a short string of cars the following day. CR used to run Roadrailers thru there, and there is still some interesting local activity in the yard to this day.

See what I got for breaking the "rule"! :wink:
  by Mike Roque

Matt Langworthy wrote:On occasion, R&S would send a switcher over there to drop off some cars, and it would stay in the yard overnite so it could return to R&S with a short string of cars the following day.
They run in there all the time now (Late at night a few times a week). Some equipment was vandalized at CP373 (The previous interchange point) a year or two ago, and they have been interchanging right at Goodman Street Yard ever since.
  by nessman

webmaster wrote:They run in there all the time now (Late at night a few times a week). Some equipment was vandalized at CP373 (The previous interchange point) a year or two ago, and they have been interchanging right at Goodman Street Yard ever since.
This is nothing new. The R&S interchanged at Goodman St up until the collapse and closure of the Akzo Noble salt mine back in the 90's. Once salt traffic started picking up several years ago, they resumed interchanging at Goodman St.