• B&M TEBUs (slugs)

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Stephen

SLR 393 wrote:...and then the top was 12' over the railhead.
Thanks for that tidbit! When I first started to look at this unit, I thought it was much shorter. After looking at some of the pictures much more closely, I noticed that the number boards from the original UP unit were still there (and hadn't been relocated). I knew it was tall, but I didn't realize that it only got a shave down from 13'-11" to 12' above the railhead.

Thanks!
Stephen
  by Stephen

jaymac wrote:Stephen-
The March 1985 B&M Bulletin has a two-page article by the late H. Bentley Crouch titled " 'Sluggo,' Nancy and Fritz," a reference to the "Nancy" comic strip of more than long ago that had Sluggo as one of its characters. The article may have been only two pages in length, but as was standard for the author, it was crammed with information, including one of his photos showing the slug set plus another original 300 on MEPO passing Lowell tower.
Does anyone have a copy of this issue that they are interested in selling?
If you do, please send me a private message.

Thank you very much,
Stephen
  by jaymac

Stephen-
The Store button of the B&MRRHS website doesn't seem to have any Summer 1985 Bulletins for sale, but if you haven't done so already, you might want to go to the Forum section of the site to see if you have any luck with a request there.
  by bmcdr

Stephen, I have the B&M Bulletin in front of me now, there's not much more information that you probably don't already know. It does say that the slug was 12 foot 61/2 inches from railhead to the top of the hood. At any rate, I can make a scan of this 2-page article for you and copies of the three photos I have of the slug, PM me and I'll arrange to get this stuff to you.
  by Engineer Spike

Recently I had a CPR 4650 class ex B&M GP40-2. I would have to track down its history, but it was either former 300 or 301. It still has the extra recepticals for controlling and powering the slug.
  by bmcdr

The B&M GP-40-2's were all sold to Helm Atlantic Leasing (HATX). Eight were re-sold to the Canadian Pacific and they are - (4650) ex B&M 308, (4651) ex B&M 316, (4652) ex B&M 310, (4653) ex B&M 309, (4654) ex B&M 315, (4655) ex B&M 302, (4656) ex B&M 301, and (4657) ex B&M 306.