• CSX Derailment near Amsterdam, NY - 6/27/13

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railjunkie

Trains started moving Saturday night. Just came through there today most of it is cleaned up still trying to dig out the buried engine
  by Freddy

Railjunkie wrote:Trains started moving Saturday night. Just came through there today most of it is cleaned up still trying to dig out the buried engine
Thanks.
  by twropr

What continues to happen that has M/W working between CP 184 and 188, imposing severe delays on the daylight and afternoon trains. From what I heard on the Mohawk scanner feed, many eastbounds are being stopped at 188.
Also, was a locomotive buried in the mud? On the 4th I heard someone say "they got the mud king out."
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
  by Freddy

twropr wrote:What continues to happen that has M/W working between CP 184 and 188, imposing severe delays on the daylight and afternoon trains. From what I heard on the Mohawk scanner feed, many eastbounds are being stopped at 188.
Also, was a locomotive buried in the mud? On the 4th I heard someone say "they got the mud king out."
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
More than likely it's a surfacing gang working at trying to remove any slow orders/speed restrictions. If they laid panels they could also be welding out all the joints.
  by lvrr325

Someone here posted a secondhand report via radio chatter there was a washout down there as well. Have yet to see any solid details though.
  by Railjunkie

They had to completely rebuild CP188. They finally got the engine up and out of the mud yesterday and track two at MP191 is close to washing out again.
  by docsteve

Stopped down there this morning to walk the dogs down Martin Road:

-- Route 5 is still closed,

-- A line of wrecked cars to the west of the Martin Rd./Route 5 intersection along the north side of the tracks,

-- Piles of debris east of the intersection and a pile of wheels and trucks to the west,

-- An east- and westbound were passing each other in the wreck site (stack going west, general merchandise going east) at about 20 mph each way.

What a mess! There's lots of work to be done in the proximity of the tracks, so there will probably be slow orders for a while yet.

Steve