• MBTA's F40PH #1004 in Dover, NH on the Downeaster

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by b&m 1566

What's going on here? Was Amtrak short on motive power that day?
click on the link to see the picture. http://loneworld.com/image.php?subject= ... 5&zoom=yes (taken on April 5, 2003)
Does this happen a lot?
With it being an MBTA engine, who runs it? An Amtrak employee or a MBTA employee?

by octr202

I believe that time, the 1004 was short-term leased by Amtrak due to a derailment of the Amtrak equipment move on the Grand Junction branch in Cambridge, which connects the northside and southside lines in Boston. As all other Amtrak power was stuck on the southside, they went to the T for power.

It would still be an Amtrak crew. Given their past history with both the F40PH and the MBTA system, it should be plenty familiar to their engineers.

I believe that's not the only time Amtrak has used MBTA power for the Downeaster.

by AEM7AC920

It's not the only time Amtrak borrowed one of the MBTA units, I remember seeing an MBTA unit first hand on the downeaster. Amtrak and MBTA both used each other's F40's so either way the engineers should be able to run them perfectly fine. Under normal circumstances, if a unit dies in route or is not able to run then train then the railroad that borrows the unit uses its own crew because they still are qualified on the territory not unless the engineer is not certified to run the locomotive, pending on the class