• Lionel HO challenger

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by railvidpro

Hi All
I just picked up a lionel challenger and was extremely disappointed when I found out it would pull only 8 40' nmra weighted freight cars up a 2%grade around minimum 48' raidus curves
It's got plenty of power but it slips it's drivers
unbelievible for such a heavy engine
My P2K berkshire pulls 2 times as much
any and all comments would be appreciated
thanks
Lou
NYSME
  by DSteckler

Perhaps Lionel or some other vendor sells traction tires?

by Otto Vondrak

Traction tires! Good for a Tyco, bad for an expensive scale model steamer.

It may be that your Lionel Challenger is just too new... the plating on the drivers may be too polished, and may not be able to grip the tracks. How many cars is it supposed to be able to pull?

-otto-

by Chuck Walsh

I agree with Otto, perhaps "too new" RUN IT.
As an Athearn Challenger guy I follow all Challenger posts.
This is the first relative to insufficient traction.

by NJT Rider

I faced similar issues with my challenger. I was fustrated just as you are. I broke out the screwdriver and dove in. I made some simple adjustments, and it made a world of difference. I started with the tender. Remove the screws that are holding the axles in place, then lube the axles that are now exposed. This will greatly reduce the drag of the engine and increase it's pulling power. You can also remove the weight from the tender. This is accomplished by removing the tender shell, and also removing the two screws that hold the weight in place. These screws are only accessable when the axles are uncovered. Be careful, as you move the tender around, the axles will fall out.

Another quick tune up item that will greatly improve the sound of the engine is to put some cotton in the speaker baffle. These are the round plastic columns that you see when the shell is off. You will have to remove the screws that hold the decoder and speakers in place to accomplish this, but it is worth the effort.

Take your time if you attempt this, be sure to separate your screws as there are a few different sizes in the tender, and you do not want to strip on out by putting the wrong on in the hole.

Good Luck.
  by railvidpro

Otto
you replied that traction tires are not good on expensive locos.i read the review on the Athearn challenger and found they have traction tires installed one both sides of one axle
perhaps lionel should follow suit
BTW thanks to the replies I recieved the problem with my challenger is now remedied
I lubricated the pedestal truck axles,removed a 2 1/2 oz weight from the tender.lessened the spring tension on the trailing truck of the locomotive and added 3 oz of balenced weight inside the boiler
i feel that for what that engine costs that I should not have to make these modifications to improve the tractive effort
The engine now pulls 25 40' cars (3.75 oz each) plus a caboose or 10 (I havent tried more)walthers streamlined passenger cars with which i have a diaphragm problem to correct to prevent them from derailing around 42 'radius curves

by astrosa

10 (I havent tried more)walthers streamlined passenger cars with which i have a diaphragm problem to correct to prevent them from derailing around 42 'radius curves
I'm surprised you're having a problem on 42" radius curves, but the Walthers diaphragms are quite stiff which can be an issue. Try removing the stainless-steel diaphragm springs from the inside of the cars and replacing them with strips of .005" styrene. This makes it much easier for them to flex and should keep your cars from derailing.