• US Open / Ardmore Avenue and all that

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ExCon90

Let me quote a paragraph by Phil Sheridan, a sportswriter for the Philadelphia Inquirer, discussing some unique features of the U. S. Open being played at the Merion Golf Club:

"It is going to be fantastic, watching Tiger Woods line up a putt while the bells at St. George's Episcopal Church ring, or Rory McIlroy strolling up the 18th fairway as a train rolls by on the Norristown High-Speed Line behind him." This, in the sports section, by a sportswriter. 18th fairway -- watch for it.

Match that, Augusta.

(Now if only chuchubob can get a shot of the NHSL with Tiger Woods in the background ...)
  by Jersey_Mike

It's a shame Pine Valley isn't set up to host major golf tournaments. Greatest golf course in the world and almost nobody knows about it. Of course I suspect that's how they want it. Anyway if they did host a US Open I'm sure CMSL Tony would offer to run a service.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Jersey_Mike wrote:It's a shame Pine Valley isn't set up to host major golf tournaments.
Pine Valley does not want to host major golf tournaments. It's not what they're about.
  by rslitman

I don't know which is the worse of two possible scenarios:

1. A major golf tournament at a Main Line golf course, again showing the rest of the world that the only suburbs of Philadelphia that matter are the Main Line ones, and causing SEPTA to add even more cars and runs to the rail line that is already the one with the most service.

OR

2. A major golf tournament at a golf course such as Philmont or Huntingdon Valley Country Club that would clog our local streets but at the same time might get SEPTA to add more service to the West Trenton line and would also show off our neck of the woods to the rest of the world.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Who programmed the Reginabot? That was perfect!
  by nomis

U.S. Open Fans Impressed With SEPTA’s Special Service - By Pat Loeb June 13, 2013 4:51 AM
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/0 ... l-service/
Assistant General manager Ron Hopkins says yesterday, the two lines carried nearly 12,000 additional passengers.
"We're very proud about it. They were expecting 25,000 and we're about two-fifths of it and we're very happy about it."
Hopkins says Septa's been working on this for a year and a half and riders say it's paid off.
  by Amtrak7

On the RRD side, why are they busing all the way from Rosemont instead of using Ardmore?
  by nomis

Amtrak7 wrote:On the RRD side, why are they busing all the way from Rosemont instead of using Ardmore?
Bus-de-toot logistics I'd imagine. Looks to be a better station to turn buses and a main artery straight into the area.
  by Matthew Mitchell

nomis wrote:Bus-de-toot logistics I'd imagine. Looks to be a better station to turn buses and a main artery straight into the area.
Exactly.
  by acelaphillies

From the article:
Hopkins admits Septa’s ulterior motive is to make these fans regular riders.
This is really a great opportunity for SEPTA to gain riders and also good public opinion.

I was wondering--if they want to make a good impression on these riders, are they purposely setting these trains up with Silverliner V's? Shiny new equipment can definitely make a good impression.
  by Matthew Mitchell

acelaphillies wrote:This is really a great opportunity for SEPTA to gain riders and also good public opinion.
Yep. Top brass is definitely aware of that.
I was wondering--if they want to make a good impression on these riders, are they purposely setting these trains up with Silverliner V's? Shiny new equipment can definitely make a good impression.
Not that I've seen. The Lansdale trains I've been on this week (run through to/from Thorndale) were run with IVs as usual. Vs will load faster too though.
  by South Jersey Budd

I have seen a mix of equipment out there.
  by JeffK

acelaphillies wrote:From the article:
This is really a great opportunity for SEPTA to gain riders and also good public opinion.
Warning - curmudgeon alert -
But they sure weren't doing so when I stopped by the NTC early in the week. No signage inside the terminal, one outward-facing sign on the platform that you couldn't see unless you did a 180 from the boarding location, change machine out of order, token machines out of order, no 100 schedules in the bins.

I don't know if anything was corrected later on but it sure wasn't a good first impression for the people I ran into. I spent nearly a half-hour answering questions, and even prevented two couples from taking the ex-R6 to center city and ex-R5 back out to Rosemont, versus a direct trip on the P&W.
  by Tritransit Area

JeffK wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:From the article:
Warning - curmudgeon alert -
But they sure weren't doing so when I stopped by the NTC early in the week. No signage inside the terminal, one outward-facing sign on the platform that you couldn't see unless you did a 180 from the boarding location, change machine out of order, token machines out of order, no 100 schedules in the bins.

I don't know if anything was corrected later on but it sure wasn't a good first impression for the people I ran into. I spent nearly a half-hour answering questions, and even prevented two couples from taking the ex-R6 to center city and ex-R5 back out to Rosemont, versus a direct trip on the P&W.
Hopefully that was corrected later on, but it's not so surprising yet quite disappointing that they kind of neglected the Norristown end of the line...again...ESPECIALLY now that there is an intercity bus terminal at this location. Also, has that customer service office reopened?

Otherwise, at 69th Street and especially at Ardmore Avenue they did an admirable job!