• Former Hooker Chemicals/Ruco Polymer switch removed

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Teutobergerwald

I had occasion to travel to Hicksville this morning by car and had to go down New South Rd. As I crossed over the tracks of the Main Line, I noticed the switch for Hooker / Ruco Polymer had been removed. Throughout the '80's and '90's, there were always tankcars and occasionally, covered hoppers, spotted on the plant's two spurs. Anybody know when the LIRR did this? I would've thought that rail would've been the preferred way to move out contaminated soil once the government gets around to doing remediation on the property. It is a Superfund site, if I'm not mistaken. Sorry to see a potential NYA customer go. Their customer base in Nassau County seems to be dwindling.
  by emfinite

The last train in there was NYAR pulling out loaded soil gondolas, so it did see NYAR service towards the end. That last train derailed and messed up the LIRR PM rush hour. Switch was blocked and spiked, out of service for a while after the derailment and the switch was finally removed about a year ago.
  by Teutobergerwald

The switch was removed a year ago? I've been by that way since then and it was intact, or so I thought.