Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Lirr168

Hi all,

I thought you might interested to know that the wonderful City of New York commenced demolition of an original Pennsylvania RR built power plant in Long Island City, Queens this morning. Apparently, the prospect of building "riverfront housing" outweighs preserving an integral part of LIRR/PRR railroad history.

by CR6618

Work didn't begin today, it has been going on for awhile. Nobody said the building was being completely demolished, just the smokestacks and parts of the interior. The City of New York has nothing to do with it.

by Lirr168

First of all, I can't for certain exactly how much of the building is being demolished, but I had heard the whole thing because it was deemed unsafe. Secondly, the City of New York has everything to do with it. They city had to declare the building structurally unsound for demolition to begin and if they cared they could have made the building a landmark; this would hardly be a stretch, we are talking about a building that was insturmental to the development of LIC as we know it today.

by CR6618

Lirr168 wrote:First of all, I can't for certain exactly how much of the building is being demolished, but I had heard the whole thing because it was deemed unsafe.
You heard wrong.

================

New York Daily News -

Old chimneys swept
BY OREN YANIV

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Sunday, April 17th, 2005

One hundred years after they first rose above the East River waterfront, the smokestacks atop the old Pennsylvania Railroad power station in Long Island City started coming down this week.

As work began to convert the old, crumbling plant into luxury condominiums, construction workers erected tall scaffolds, draped with black anti-dust sheets, around the four 275-foot-tall chimneys.

The original plan called for restoring the smokestacks and raising a 10-story cubic glass structure between them, said Karl Fisher, the project's architect. However, a city regulation that limits the building's height to 120 feet thwarted that plan.

"We had a very nice design that would have given a very unique identity to the building," said Cheskel Schwimmer, vice president of the Brooklyn firm CGS Builders, which bought the property last year. "But we couldn't justify starting a variance process."

The $100 million project, which will add four to six brick floors to the existing structure, should be completed in about 20 months, Schwimmer said. The first phase will include 200 high-end condos, with another 200 to follow.

Work on the ancient power plant started in 1904 and was completed two years later. It was used to supply power to trains that ran beneath the East River, but became obsolete in the 1920s.

In the 1950s, the chimney-topped boiler room was sold to the Metropolitan Plumbing Co., and an adjacent building, used for turbine generators, was bought by Schwartz Chemical Co. That structure will house the second phase of the development, which will stretch between Second and Fifth Sts. and 50th and 51st Aves.

Though derelict for years, the smokestacks became a part of the riverfront view and a relic of the neighborhood's industrial character. They were featured in painter Georgia O'Keeffe's 1920s series "Across the East River" and appeared as a backdrop in the 2001 Ben Stiller cult flick "Zoolander."

Now, the building will become a part of the neighborhood's present, as a magnet for luxurious high-rises, such as the nearby Queens West and Avalon Riverview.

Some in the area are glad to see the smokestacks disappearing. They call them an eyesore and a bad memory of a bygone era.

"A lot of old timers are not unhappy to see them go because they represent pollution and problems and industry that is long gone," said Jake Atwood, who runs a neighborhood Web site that channeled community sentiments.

Others regret losing "a local landmark," and are disappointed that initial plans to incorporate them were scratched, said Joseph Conley, chairman of Community Board 2.

But he added: "It's rundown and it's time for a change. We hope that the change will take into account the history of the building."

Schwimmer said the builders' intention is indeed maintaining the historic look of the complex, which will include, when completed, a retail space and an art gallery.

Workers recently began to carefully cut metal scraps off the huge behemoths and crumble their inner brick linings. They had been using the chimneys' shafts as chutes to dispose of the debris.

"It's a huge undertaking," Schwimmer said. "It's actually the most dangerous part of the entire development."

The demolition work will take about three months, after which construction is set to begin, he said.

by Lirr168

I stand corrected. I do, however, still have issue with how this is being handled; the $100 million being spent on building condos could have been much better spent restoring a genuine piece of history. Besides, who is going to spend thousands of dollars on these "luxury" apartments anyway? Have you seen that area lately? Your neighbors would be the LIRR passenger yard, a trucking company, a construction zone for a new ferry terminal, and a Budweiser shipping plant.

by CR6618

The selling point for these new apartments is the river view (from some of the windows) but mostly it's the one-stop ride to Manhattan via the #7 train. You can work in Manhattan and be home in ten minutes. The area is relatively safe with the 108 Pct a block away and plenty of police patrols around the Midtown Tunnel and railroad facilities.

Here's one more news story:

Smokestacks Being Torn Down; Chapter Closes On LIC Skyline

by Neille Ilel, Western Queens Editor
©Queens Chronicle - Western Edition 2005
April 14, 2005

In the latest conflict between development money and aesthetics, money carried the day.

Four iconic smokestacks that have defined the Long Island City cityscape for nearly a century will be taken down in the next several months. A demolition permit was issued to the contractor on March 28th, and the smokestacks have been covered with scaffolding to facilitate their dismantling.

The developer, Cheskel Schwimmer of CGS Builders, is turning the former power plant into luxury condominiums. The site has extra floor-area ratio that Schwimmer would like to take advantage of. But in order to do that he would have to demolish the smokestacks to add extra units to the top of the structure, or get a variance to build within them. Schwimmer said in the end, it was just not feasible to go through the variance process.

“It was a much better design to keep the smokestacks,” said the project’s architect, Karl Fisher. “But he didn’t want to wait.” The variance process requires hearings with the community board, borough president and then the final decision rests with the city’s Board of Standards and Appeals.

“The BSA has changed a lot,” Fisher continued. “There’s no guarantee that it would pass.”

Schwimmer had been meeting with the Department of Buildings for the last several months to see if a design could be worked out that would satisfy the zoning laws and still use the maximum floor-area ratio. No agreement could be reached.

After the smokestacks are removed, a four or five-story addition will be added to the top of the building that will cover almost the entire area of the roof.

The Long Island City waterfront has been in the midst of a large development push. New tower projects, like River East, have followed on the heels of the successful Avalon and Citylights buildings. The neighborhood’s zoning designation was recently changed from light industrial to mixed use including residential, commercial and light industrial use.

“I can’t wait for them to come down.” said Citylights resident Peter Iorlanao. He finds the smokestacks a dirty blot on the neighborhood’s skyline. “You have to go to graduate school to like them,” he said of the structure’s admirers. “They’re stuck in the past.”

Indeed, the smokestacks are a vivid reminder of the neighborhood’s industrial history. Paul Parkhill, director of Place in History, a non-profit community planning organization, started a postcard campaign to get the four chimneys landmarked when they heard of the developer’s plans. “It’s usually an uphill battle,” he said of his chances at the time.

Although there are some vocal proponents of the smokestacks, there was hardly a groundswell of support to save them. Many locals pointed out they were in disrepair and are looking forward to the goods and services that follow an increased residential population. “Upward and onward,” urged Iorlanao.

by Lirr168

You're right CR6618, that area of LIC is safe (I take the LIRR home from there several days per week), the #7 connection is great, and there is also ferry access to lower Manhattan and Jersey. I can imagine how great the view from the west side of the building will be, but what about everyone else? Seeing that last article you posted really annoys me; had they waited a few more weeks, I would bet the city would have granted the variance they needed to keep the smokestacks.

None of those things really matter to me though; I'm a history buff, and losing such a valuable piece of LIC, LIRR, and PRR history is what bothers me the most.

by CR6618

Lirr168 wrote:I'm a history buff, and losing such a valuable piece of LIC, LIRR, and PRR history is what bothers me the most.
Many historical organizations tried to persuade the developers to retain the smokestacks. There were promises but I am sure the stacks were destined to go from the start.

Just about one mile east on the Montauk Division was the Phelps Dodge site. In one of the buildings, then called Nichols Refining, the process to create ultra-pure copper was discovered. This metal was necessary in order for wires to transmit the new invention of electric power. Local historical and industrial archeology groups tried to have that building preserved, to no avail. It was leveled along with the rest of the factory buildings. So much for history.

http://www.placeinhistory.org/Projects/ ... ooklet.htm

See page four:

http://www.placeinhistory.org/Projects/ ... ontext.pdf

by Lirr168

As someone pointed out to me last night, the primary reason that LIC manages to attract fairly affluent people into its apartments is because of the history of the area; it's one of the few neighborhoods left in the city where modern housing is found among the towering factories of years past. What these developers do not seem to realize is that they're slowing destroying one of their biggest selling points.