• Ditch light usage

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by mhomscheidt

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how the ditch lights on an CSX SD70M are used (I'm modeling a SD70M in H0 scale and would like to have the lights and also the ditch light work like the prototype).

- Are the lower two lights steady on and the ditrch light function is enabled at grade crossings?
- Or is it steady off?
- Are the ditch lights coupled with the horn? Means if the horn is on the ditch lights are also on?

Is there somewhere a description available with operation rules or something else for the CSX?

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Michael.

by clearblock

Ditch lights would normally be steady when running and flashing when activated by horn or bell.

Here is the NORAC Rule for Auxiliary Lights:

The leading end of engines that operate over public crossings at grade at speeds greater than 20 MPH must be equipped with auxiliary lights. Auxiliary lights consist of two ditch lights (auxiliary lights on steady), two crossing lights (auxiliary lights alternately flashing) or one oscillating light (auxiliary light that moves in a circular or figure eight pattern). Auxiliary lights are considered operative when they illuminate after the engine horn and/or bell is sounded or the auxiliary light switch is activated.

by mhomscheidt

Hello,

thanks for the fast answer. It's very helpful to me. But could you please tell me what the NORAC is?

Thanks
Michael.

by LCJ

mhomscheidt wrote:But could you please tell me what the NORAC is?
Northeastern Operating Rules Advisory Committee -- a rule book used by Amtrak, Conrail Shared Assets, and several other railroads and transit agencies in the northeastern part of the US.

Here's the book in pdf format:

http://thebecketts.com/images/NORAC%208 ... %20NJT.pdf

by mhomscheidt

Thanks for the PDF-file. I'm reading it and it's a great source for a great amount of railroad information.

Thanks a lot.
Michael.

by crazy_nip

the ditch lights on CSX's SD70M's DO NOT BLINK when the horn is sounded...

they are somewhat unique on the CSX system in this regard. I think the only other units to do this are the ex-EMD demonstrator SD60's and GP60's that they have

these SD70M's were EMD demonstrators which spent most of their lives on the SP prior to the EMD merger

by Noel Weaver

I do not think the ditch lights on the Canadian National engines flash
either, at least not on the ones used in Canada.
Noel Weaver

by charlie6017

That's right. I have never seen CN or CP Rail's ditch lights flash. As a matter of fact, I never see UP's or BNSF's flash either. I was always curious why.