• Greenberg Guides

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by dkgrubb

In all honesty, How accurate are Greenberg Guides?
Thanks,
keith

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I would say 75 % of the time they are accurate, or darn near it.

by geep39

There are a number of problems with the Greenberg guides. Don't you wonder how they determine prices on EACH AND EVERY one of the items in the guides every year? My guess is that they don't get caught, so they let a few "slide". I've seen where they upped prices in what seems like an arbitrary fashion on whole pages.

Another big problem with the guides is the user. Remember that the price given is for the CONDITION that the guide states. Too many times I've seen guys just price stuff on their tables according to the highest price in the book, and the condition is nowhere near that. What's hilarious is when you go to one of these guys and say that the price seems a little too high, they'll tell you: "well, the Greenburg book says..."
And, they won't deal, either. They usually end up taking most of their stuff home.

The buyers also have user problems, too. Again, they don't take CONDITION into consideration, and may end up paying too much. Look at eBay, and you see ridiculous prices paid for junk because someone can't read the price guide right, or bids according to the highest price in the guide. Hey, the secret is trying to get a BARGAIN that's lots LOWER than the book.

I also have problems with some of the prices in the guide in the first place.
Items that are common may be higher priced because the editor thinks that's what the item is worth, right or wrong. Of course, those buying by the book support such mistaken notions. For a real kick, go to a meet and look at the tables of the "experts" who think that they set prices(American Flyer seems to have more than its share of these), and they'll usually tell you that the price guides are too low. It seems like these types are trying to make a fortune from their stuff.

There was a scandal a few years ago, before Greenberg sold out to Kalmbach. It was amazing when a few prominent dealers were observed sucking up all the Lionel Postwar that they could get their hands on. No bargaining, just buying everything in sight. It turned out that these guys got advance copies for "review", and prices were up by about 30-40% in the new guides.

Buying trains was a lot more fun before price guides came into widespread use.