• The Warm Weather Is Finally Back...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by sullivan1985

Ahhh, warm weather. Welcome back. I missed you. Now I can finally go railfanning again and explore old abandoned ROW around Northern Jersey. Although I do miss shoooting commuter trains speeding through heavy snow, theres nothing like walking into Hoboken Terminal with out freezing and actually being able to listen to the locomotives idel with out risking frost bite when you take off you hat to listen to it :-).

And I don't know if any one else really noticed this, but you can hear those horns blasting from much further away in the summer, and it has a really cool/strange distortion to it.

Welcome back Warm Weather...
  by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:Ahhh, warm weather. Welcome back. I missed you. Now I can finally go railfanning again and explore old abandoned ROW around Northern Jersey. Although I do miss shoooting commuter trains speeding through heavy snow, theres nothing like walking into Hoboken Terminal with out freezing and actually being able to listen to the locomotives idel with out risking frost bite when you take off you hat to listen to it :-).

And I don't know if any one else really noticed this, but you can hear those horns blasting from much further away in the summer, and it has a really cool/strange distortion to it.

Welcome back Warm Weather...
Some of it depends on the atmosphere. Sometimes, nights in Berkeley Heights are quiet except for the passing of Arrow III trains. Other nights when the atmosphere is just right (I suspect humidity and pressure has something to do with it), I can hear trains on the Morristown Line, the Raritan Valley Line and the Lehigh Line (I supect). That's like 15 miles. The horn blasts occur every minute for hours on end late in the night. Keeps me up all night!
  by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:Some of it depends on the atmosphere. Sometimes, nights in Berkeley Heights are quiet except for the passing of Arrow III trains. Other nights when the atmosphere is just right (I suspect humidity and pressure has something to do with it), I can hear trains on the Morristown Line, the Raritan Valley Line and the Lehigh Line (I supect). That's like 15 miles. The horn blasts occur every minute for hours on end late in the night. Keeps me up all night!
I would definatly put a very sensitive microphone on my room and capture every bit of it... I love that "distant echoing train horn on a late summer night". It lets you know two things for sure...

1. You Live in New Jersey, and 2. You right smack in the middle of a lot of railroad action.

by njt4172

LOL, not so fast! This week will mainly average in the middle 50;s for highs....Tomorrow will only be near 50 and Thursday and Friday will be 55.....Pretty cold at night too......

Steve

by trainfreak

I gotta admitt i do love being able to sit on the front porch during summer listening to a NYSW train rolling through Vernon Valley and also listening to the peepers chant on in the ponds and swamps. And for those of you who dont know...peepers are frogs.

by sullivan1985

trainfreak wrote:I gotta admitt i do love being able to sit on the front porch during summer listening to a NYSW train rolling through Vernon Valley and also listening to the peepers chant on in the ponds and swamps. And for those of you who dont know...peepers are frogs.
Thats one line I want to really familiarize myself with this summer. The NYS&W between Paterson and Port Jervis...

by Metalrailz

Trainfreak wrote:
I gotta admitt i do love being able to sit on the front porch during summer listening to a NYSW train rolling through Vernon Valley and also listening to the peepers chant on in the ponds and swamps. And for those of you who dont know...peepers are frogs
Jeff you just described the kind of area that my wife and I would like to live at. Sound serene and peaceful, I have had enough of listening to the traffic on RT9 and the Parkway day after day. The only good thing to where I live is the close proximity of the PNC Arts Center

by njtmnrrbuff

Back in Upper Montclair, I can hear everything on the Montclair Boonton, but on clear nights after the whistle curfew, I can hear the hums of diesel locomotives. I can here the ex-Erie main at times, closest stops either Clifton or Passaic. At Mercy College, the MN/Amtrak is a give-a-way. I can here the whistles on the River Line, like 5 miles across the river from me.

by trainfreak

This definatley is one of the nicest areas. It is amazlingly quiet at night where i am and its a great place to raise a family and be a railfan at the same time. And getting familiar with the Suskie between Paterson and Port Jervis shouldnt be that hard being that from Butler to PELTON all you need to do is follow Rt 23 then Rt 94. Makes for good chasin with the roads following the rails.

by NJ Vike

trainfreak wrote:I gotta admitt i do love being able to sit on the front porch during summer listening to a NYSW train rolling through Vernon Valley and also listening to the peepers chant on in the ponds and swamps. And for those of you who dont know...peepers are frogs.
Hello Jeff. Long time.

Looks like our Susie Q has been running at nights for quite some time now.

I've been exploring the Hanford and Sparta Junction area since the weather's been good. The station and Caboose at Sugar Loaf are for sale. Anyone hear with some extra pocket change interested? We can then fan there while eating :-)