• Sorry Otto -- It's illegal to take pictures at Woodside

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R142A

What are you talking about? Photo-taking is perfectly legal on the entire LIRR system.
  by Clemuel

I suppose if you disagree with this guy he pontificates, locks the thread and ends discussion. Unfortunately he really didn't do his research and his pronouncement may get folks into trouble.

The Voice of Reason says: Whatever you believe about the legality of taking pictures on Railroad property, trust that if the subject drew 80 posts here on Railroad.net alone, it's quite misunderstood.

If misunderstood here, you can be certain the cops understand it even less.

So use discretion when taking pictures of railroads. Don't break the law. When you do, be nice, comply with those of authority and don't tell them "Otto said it was okay".

Tell us you got locked up, and your post will be deleted.

by lirrmike

Uh, would you like to fill me in on this? I know of no post that was locked without me knowing.

Mike

Never mind, I see the post. Not that he needs my help in defending himself, but again this is a case of 'I heard this or he said this'. We can have pages and pages on this stuff. Even RumorPace is doing a column on taking pictures of trains. The law says you can take any pictures you want from pubic property, but does that mean you won't get a cop asking all kinds of questions? Of course not! If you call the MTA and get a name, you souldn't have any problems. In a perfect world that would happen. Just don't make it worse by arguing with the cops, ask yourself, 'is this picture of a M-7 worth going to the police station for a few hours'?

Mike
Last edited by lirrmike on Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RRChef

I think it's regarding the post "LIRR Engineer threatens to call police on me". I don't understand why that has been locked now. The last post was a month ago.

by Otto Vondrak

Sorry to rain on your parade. If you've got the rules in print to back you up, I'll more than listen.

-otto-

by NIMBYkiller

Uhh.....Can someone fill me in on what happened here?

by Noel Weaver

The name of this one has to do with taking pictures at Woodside.
I really do not understand what most of you are talking about.
Would seem to me that there are many better places than Woodside for
taking pictures.
Noel Weaver

by Long Island 7285

Lets not go there.

Everybody back on track before some one (not mentioning names) will lock this thread also.

when one of us railfans see a terroris in action grab a pic but not call it in becaus we dont want to get busted for railfanning then the government will realise and think... let them live and learn, its in plane sight, it seems that 9-11 did not teach them enough.

we the people of the united states have to unite to fight, not just let the lawenforcemnt go it alone, they only can do so much.
"rant mode off"

lets keep this thred unlocked and re reail this train.
your fill in monitor.
*now please dont say no one is watching*

by Lirr168

La-Qwanda wrote:sir 7285 firs thing firs you must lern how to spel. now if we b keepen the moderater off this tread we gon have to get it on and bak on track. 7285 i mus commend you for your exellant descriptionants in the furthernance of exestiontinalisms

i been talkin my tuter and he tell me that gonorea botus be the one wit the big hare at wood side n im callin police thank u.
I'm all for staying on track with these threads, but I must say that I don't even understand what half of these words are supposed to be! I think maybe we need an ebonic to english translator on this forum.

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Everyone,

I locked this thread to clean out the La-Qwanda posts and the resulting posts. It's up to lirrmike if he wants to unlock this thread or not.

-otto-