• Anderson St. Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Roadgeek Adam

n01jd1 wrote:
ryanov wrote:Essex Street? Questionable neighborhood? To whom?
ANYWHERE in Hackensack is a questionable neighborhood!! Anyone from North Jersey knows that!!
if Hackensack is dangerous, then this state has definitely lower standards for low quality towns. I've been to Hackensack numerous times, I've never felt any uneasiness.

And, at least in my book, no town is legitimately dangerous in New Jersey. If they were seriously that bad, they would be as Englewood, Chicago. I have never felt uneasy in Paterson, Newark, Trenton, even Camden while walking around. A town is only dangerous if you make it out to be.
  by morris&essex4ever

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
n01jd1 wrote:
ANYWHERE in Hackensack is a questionable neighborhood!! Anyone from North Jersey knows that!!
if Hackensack is dangerous, then this state has definitely lower standards for low quality towns. I've been to Hackensack numerous times, I've never felt any uneasiness.

And, at least in my book, no town is legitimately dangerous in New Jersey. If they were seriously that bad, they would be as Englewood, Chicago. I have never felt uneasy in Paterson, Newark, Trenton, even Camden while walking around. A town is only dangerous if you make it out to be.
So one of the most dangerous cities in the US(Camden) isn't so dangerous after all?
  by Roadgeek Adam

morris&essex4ever wrote: So one of the most dangerous cities in the US(Camden) isn't so dangerous after all?
Not personally. Statistics may say it is, but that doesn't mean you're going to walk into the city and be the immediate target for a random drive-by.
  by Steve F45

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
n01jd1 wrote:

So your saying Englewood is not as bad as Paterson or Newark? If you only listened to what is broadcast over the statewide police radios from Paterson, Newark, East Orange, South Orange, Maplewood about the crap that goes on, it would make you rethink your statement. Camden, it was a rule to double up in the police cars and never leave it out of sight cause the locals didn't care if it was cop car, if they could take it, they would.
  by alewifebp

n01jd1 wrote:
That's totally false. I have friends that live in Hackensack, and I used to live in Maywood, on Essex Street, traveling through Hackensack frequently. Some parts are not as desirable as others, but the town is relatively safe, as far as things like this go. Drive down Prospect or Summit avenues and tell me that the place is unsafe. The only robberies on Prospect lie in the overly expensive rents in the towers, not crime on the streets. Additionally, one of the most opulent malls in NJ, Riverside Square, is located in Hackensack.

I'm not sure how much this data has changed, but a while ago when I was in college, an assignment was given in my Sociology class to compare two towns. I chose Hackensack and Hoboken. Much to my surprise at the time, I discovered that Hoboken had a higher crime rate than Hackensack.
  by ryanov

More folks afraid of their own shadow.
  by M&Eman

Steve F45 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
n01jd1 wrote:

So your saying Englewood is not as bad as Paterson or Newark? If you only listened to what is broadcast over the statewide police radios from Paterson, Newark, East Orange, South Orange, Maplewood about the crap that goes on, it would make you rethink your statement. Camden, it was a rule to double up in the police cars and never leave it out of sight cause the locals didn't care if it was cop car, if they could take it, they would.
Did you really just throw South Orange and Maplewood in with Newark, East Orange, and Paterson? Crawl out of your hole in the exurbs. Maplewood and South Orange are no less safe than Millburn, Montclair etc. The presence of people of color does not make a town unsafe. Newark, for that matter, is way better than it used to be. Downtown Newark and the North Ward are up and coming and the Ironbound has never been bad.
  by ThirdRail7

Does anyone have any popcorn?

by Jtgshu

There are plenty of bad areas in towns all over the state, as well as good areas. Also, most crime does not get reported in the newspapers or other publications, so things are ALWAYS worse than they appear. My father was a cop for over 25 years......hes told me things that would make your hair curl, all the while, nothing ever got reported in the newspaper about it!

If a wide brush is going to be used to classify an area or town or section, use the income levels and employment figures. It doesn't matter if someone is white black orange or pink, if everyone in an area has a job, makes a livable wage, and owns their own home, chances are its going to a "better" area than an area where most folks are unemployed or underemployed, poverty levels are very high, and most homes are rented out to tenants. Again, chances are, thats going to be a "worse" area.

The same of a town also has no bearing on crime that might or might not spread over its boarders. I can think of plenty of less desirable areas of South Orange or Maplewood or West Orange or even Millburn, while I can think of nicer, more desirable areas in Newark, East Orange, Orange and even Irvington. In some cases, you might be surprised that a certain section is not in the town you might think it is by looking at it.
  by Steve F45

M&Eman wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
n01jd1 wrote:

Did you really just throw South Orange and Maplewood in with Newark, East Orange, and Paterson? Crawl out of your hole in the exurbs. Maplewood and South Orange are no less safe than Millburn, Montclair etc. The presence of people of color does not make a town unsafe. Newark, for that matter, is way better than it used to be. Downtown Newark and the North Ward are up and coming and the Ironbound has never been bad.
I work at a large police department and yes, those towns are always screaming on the statewide radio for help. Just because you didn't hear about it on the local news or in the paper doesn't mean something hasn't happened. People would crap themselves if they heard about everything that goes on, including in the city of hackensack. And when did color come into this?
  by Hawaiitiki

Abbott districts are school districts in New Jersey that are provided remedies to ensure that their students receive public education in accordance with New Jersey’s state constitution. They are simply school districts that the state of New Jersey deems not finacially and/or organizationally capable of running themselves, therefore the State of NJ steps in with funding and leadership. They are in my mind a very good way a measuring a town's overall welfare(economics welfare, not welfare welfare).

Guess what the only Abbott District in Bergen County is?
Englewood?...No
Hackensack?...Nope
Teaneck?...Wrong Again

Garfield strangely and not so stangely is the correct answer.

I'm just trying to convey that what you see is not necessarily what you get. Englewood, Hackensack, and Teaneck tend to have far higher percentages of people of color, be more urban in nature, and tend to get a bad rep. However, they are at least entrusted to run their own school district unlike Garfield.

I was born in Hackensack. My doctor for the past 25 years has been on Propect Avenue. I've spent time at FDU, and I love Lido's Pizza. For gods sake my 5 foot one inch italian mother loves going to the Target(yes, by herself). Hackensack is not Camden. THE END.
  by ryanov

Steve F45 wrote:And when did color come into this?
When people started labeling towns "bad" and they just so happen to have more people of color than the neighboring towns.
  by swapcatsr

Beginning on or about Monday, March 18 and continuing through September 2013, the Anderson Street Station will undergo construction of a new shelter.

If I had to walk 1 mile to get to Prospect/Central Avenue from the Essex Street or Anderson Street train station after 9pm I would choose to get off at the Anderson Street Station and take absolutely no short cuts. I did this once in the summer and vowed never again. Once on Prospect Avenue I felt more relaxed after walking 2 blocks on Prospect from either direction (Essex/Passaic). Prospect Avenue has the benefit of brightly lit high rise building (wo)manned by a doorman or security guard and dog walkers from the very few buildings which still allow pets. Have lived on Prospect Avenue in Hackensack for 20+ years. We had a cat burglar breaking into the high rise buildings and a shoot out on Polify Road a few years ago. I'm certain that there is more violent crime than I aware of but like every city you have to be careful when you are walking around. While getting off the NJT bus on Prospect Avenue on Cabbage/Mischief/Fright Night I was subjected to a drive-by egg toss but I chalk that up to the many years that I was the tosser during this Halloween ritual. I would say karma although I never missed the mark.
  by swapcatsr

NORTHJERSEY.COM : NEWS

NJ Transit breaks ground on new building at Anderson rail station in Hackensack
FRIDAY MARCH 29, 2013, 4:33 PM
BY JENNIFER VAZQUEZ
NEWS EDITOR
HACKENSACK CHRONICLE
PRINT | E-MAIL

HACKENSACK - The original Anderson Street Railroad Station building, that was destroyed in a fire in 2009, is getting a second chance.

The NJ Transit-funded project to replace the building will cost approximately $571,061, said Nancy Snyder, a spokeswoman with the public transportation system. NJ Transit owns the station.
The updated facility will include a waiting room with three walls, with the opening facing the tracks; a covered area leading to Anderson Street; ticket machines inside the waiting room and historical lighting.

"We have broken ground," she said. "We are expecting for the project to be completed sometime late fall."

The original carpenter Gothic-style station was built in 1869 and was one of the stops on the Erie Railroad. It was listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and national register in 1984 only to be removed from the Register of Historic Places in 2011 since the building on the property no longer existed.

According to City Manager Stephen Lo Iacono, before the fire destroyed the original building, the Anderson Street station was the "second oldest one in the state of New Jersey."
"We've been pushing for the station to be rebuilt," Lo Iacono said. "NJ Transit replaced it with an overhead."

Lo Iacono said that the overhead is the type of covering found at a bus stop and was the most immediate structure built after the fire.
"We are happy about this construction," Lo Iacono said. "We've been waiting for a long time. We can now get commuters out of the weather."

According to Snyder, the time between the fire in 2009 and the project breaking ground, roughly four years later, was necessary since all the work leading up to the new construction occurs in phases.
"It takes time," she said. "There was damage assessment, dealings with the insurance company before we could move the proceedings forward. It all comes in phases. We had to send out for bids, then we had to choose a general contractor."

Email: [email protected]