• Ernst Gear Sets

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Hostler

I put in a Ernst Gear set in an Athearn RDC a while back. Used the stock motor and Athearn universal/couplings and turned it into a good runing unit. It now has enough power to pull a number of dummies, so I don't have to power too many more. By using this gearing, it allows me to covert the bunch of ATT RDC-2's into dummies. I haven't tried gearing an engine as yet. I would do my F's, FM's and PA's. Has anyone done any of these, what were your results, how did they run?

Bob
  by retired grouch

Many moons ago I put a Mashima can motor and Ernst re-gearing in 2 Athern S-12s. Had to do a little milling on the frame to get the motor to fit, but that probably won't be necessary on a full height hood/cab unit.

Result was both units had excellent slow speed response and great pulling power. albeit there is a tad of gear noise.

My opinion is that you will not be happy with the speed of a converted unit on the mainline.

Retired grouch
  by denis

Finally, something of a discussion concerning these mods. About two years ago, I decided I would go the extra mile, and expend some effort in improving two new SD 40-2s. I would show how smart I was, and would produce a sleeper-- a mysteriously, better running Athearn. So, I bought 2 sets for 6 wheel trucks, and 1 for 4 wheelers. Mistake #1. After getting them, I learned how to install them in the SD 40s. Mistake #2. Thrilled with having accomplished this, I took them to my local museum layout. Mistake #3. Turned on the power at low voltage, noticed the noise, and very slow speed, after gradually notching up, and noticing no increase in speed, I went full bore, and kicked it to three-quarter throttle. The noise was deafening, and the speed zoomed to a full 5 smph. WOW. Spirits visited and asked me to turn down the sound.
If I remember, this gearing is a three-to-on ratio. I thought that by not using all the individual gears in the set, and retaining more of the Ath. gears, I could arrange for a two-to-one ratio. Could not elicit any experienced response. Mr Ernst said he "didn't know anything about this", which I found odd. One modeler told me he didn't feel these sets belonged in anything other than a switcher. I think they would serve nicely in the gear train of a articulated hauling a unit coal drag over the Alleghanies. Anybody got any ideas for modifying these sets? :(

by Engineer Spike

When I was a fireman I used to help my engineer with his layout. He had an Athearn switcher which I rebuilt with Earnest gears. I didn't think that much was gained with them. I think that the ratio is too low. I have had very good luck just doing the usual Athearn tune up procedures; tooth paste in the gears, a turn out of the motor brush springs, hard wiring the motor, and nickel silver wheels.
  by rnetzlof

Several years ago a member of the club I was in then fitted an Athearn SD-something with Ernst gears. He brought it to the club, ran it on the layout.

It was amazingly slow and amazingly noisy, so noisy that newcomers entering the room asked what was making the loud noise and refused to believe it was "that engine over thwere".

He took it home that very night and it was never seen again.

by pmchenry

Put one of these sets in a U28C GE. Too slow, big noise, no good. Creep was not improved. I plan to put it back the way it was, but keep the brass wheels so I can get rid of those horrible Athearn sintered wheels.

by Hostler

I've never did any diesel units only an RDC which worked very well, much better than the rubber band drive. One problem with Athearn locos is their top speed, I believe somewhere about 140-150 scale MPH. I would like to try a set in a switcher just to see if it is as noisy and too slow as you guys have seen and if so why. By the way, HobbyTown drives weren't all the quiet either but the Multi-Drives could really pull. Remember one thing about speed, figure the following: yard service 25 mph; branch line 40-50 mph; mainline drags 40-50 mph; fast freights 60-70 mph and passenger 75-90 mph. I have a first generation MDC RS3, as a yard switcher,it's speed would be acceptable, but slow for mainline runs. Another thing, be careful if you plan to replace the motor, better flat can motors run much slower than the Athearn motors, so regearing wouldn't be needed. Years ago I put a first generation Atlas HO motor in an Athearn U-boat, speed was closer to prototypical.
  by retired grouch

Mr Hostler,
Your assessment of April 10 that the better flat can motors run faster than Athern motors requires, in my estimation, the qualifier that this happens at full throttle. A good, flat can motor starts turning at a lower voltage, runs quieter, draws less amperage (a vital consideration for DCC), and respond to voltage changes smoother. Yes, it will not turn more revs than an Athern at full voltage, nor will it usually pull better; but the combination of a flat can motor and the Ernst gear set will produce a switcher that will do any yard master proud. Stuff some small pieces of lead weights into nooks and crannys and it'll almost pull as well as a Hobbytown, and better than a stock Athern. Anyone wanting a demonstration, come to the Burlco Model RR Club in Cinnaminson NJ.
  by retired grouch

Oy vey!
Mistake in my previous post. Should have said that better flat can motor run SLOWER than Atherns at full voltage.