• MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ftran999

In the Move "Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench" near the beginning the two main characters are shown riding on a Green Line Trolley. However an upcoming stop is announced as Charles/MGH.
  by jamesinclair

Tonights Fringe season 4 premiere (filmed in Vancouver) featured a bad guy wearing an MBTA uniform, an MBTA RTS bus (used in earlier episodes) and the "Avon" MBTA commuter rail stop.
  by MTD

A YouTube user recently uploaded the full TV pilot movie of James at 15.

Go to the 0:57:00 mark where James (Lance Kerwin) starts travelling all around the T in 1977. The montage lasts three minutes. Well worth looking at. It is interesting to see what the stations look like at that time. And watching the PCCs in action. And the LRVs when those were still new.
  by marlowe

Not sure if this one has been mentioned but 1955's "Six Bridges to Cross' has the Charlestown (N. Wash st) bridge. At 1:05:16 you can actually see it swing open, I guess to prevent escapes after the robbery (remake of Brinks Job).

by CRail

MTD wrote:A YouTube user recently uploaded the full TV pilot movie of James at 15.
An orange and cream 3144 pulls up, and he gets on a Boeing with type 5 motors. Then the PCCs leave and we cut back into the type 5 Boeing he's riding. The train of PCCs pulls in and he gets off a Boeing, shot from the outside now. Terrible continuity, especially for a time when accuracy and attention to detail was typically better than it is today.

An up and coming hometown artist's video with some local color (and a train):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vi1bTM3x6Y&ob=av2e
  by 3rdrail

I'm sure a vast majority of the viewing public was in shock and disbelief ! But...shooting it that way probably saved @ $10,000 so that's what you got.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

What do you mean by "type 5 motors", just out of curiosity?
CRail wrote:
MTD wrote:A YouTube user recently uploaded the full TV pilot movie of James at 15.
An orange and cream 3144 pulls up, and he gets on a Boeing with type 5 motors. Then the PCCs leave and we cut back into the type 5 Boeing he's riding. The train of PCCs pulls in and he gets off a Boeing, shot from the outside now. Terrible continuity, especially for a time when accuracy and attention to detail was typically better than it is today.

An up and coming hometown artist's video with some local color (and a train):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vi1bTM3x6Y&ob=av2e

Re:

by CircusFreakGRITZ

CSRR573 wrote:The next karate kid has a guy working for the T and he sits and then walks along the roofs of some red line cars in cabot yard.
Ah, thanks for sharing this, I remember seeing this on Disney(?) ages ago and didn't know the name! I thought it was so cool!
  by CRail

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:What do you mean by "type 5 motors", just out of curiosity?
The sound of the car starting to move (which is actually the gearbox since motors don't make any noise) is that of a conventional streetcar or subway car. Neither PCCs nor LRVs made that sound when accelerating.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

CRail wrote:
CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:What do you mean by "type 5 motors", just out of curiosity?
The sound of the car starting to move (which is actually the gearbox since motors don't make any noise) is that of a conventional streetcar or subway car. Neither PCCs nor LRVs made that sound when accelerating.
Ah ok thanks for the clarification. So you mean the film makers dubbed the sound?
  by MBTA3247

CRail wrote: motors don't make any noise
Yes they do, just not nearly as much as gears.
  by MBTA1016

Just one question, does this have to be limited to only movies and tv shows? I can name some stuff from the music industry that all of u may know. I been also thinking a remake on the song "dirty water" focusing on the mbta. But it's just new lyrics in place of others. The lyrics "Boston you're my home" will stay the same. If anyone would like to know what I got so far I'll just post it.

Be aware I'm not a real creative person when it comes to writing anything. And ive never written an original song either. I use whats out there and change stuff around. This remake of dirty water is just for fun.
  by BandM4266

I remember the movie " The next Karate kid" had scenes filmed in Cabot yard with a modified 01737 just for the movie.
  by ftran999

I don 't know if this counts but the latest McDonald's "Good Morning" commercial features Aquarium Station.