• Train Conductor Routes

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by mah4175

What do train conductors (passenger trains) do when they switch routes? How often does this happen, and do they get to choose? I was wondering what happened to this train conductor who was always on my route in the morning but switched routes. Also, if you become a train conductor, do you get to choose what stops you get on depending on how far away you live?
  by amtrakhogger

mah4175 wrote:What do train conductors (passenger trains) do when they switch routes? How often does this happen, and do they get to choose? I was wondering what happened to this train conductor who was always on my route in the morning but switched routes. Also, if you become a train conductor, do you get to choose what stops you get on depending on how far away you live?
Conductors in passenger service can bid the assignments they work (through union seniority) or they can be displaced (bumped) by a senior conductor and whereas they themselves must displace a junior conductor in order hold another assignment.
  by mah4175

So they dont just switch every 6 months? What about when there's schedule changes?
  by amtrakhogger

mah4175 wrote:So they dont just switch every 6 months? What about when there's schedule changes?
Some RR's like Amtrak (for trainmen) readvertise jobs every 6 months and they usually happen around schedule changes.
Amtrak also has weekly job bulletins where conductors can bid on vacancies that come up in between the 6 month schedule change/bulletins.
  by mah4175

And regardless of times- do conductors get on at the same stop and stay on the same line?
  by amtrakhogger

mah4175 wrote:And regardless of times- do conductors get on at the same stop and stay on the same line?
Yes, unless the carrier changes the job or schedule.