• Preserved DL&W Semaphores?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by NYSW3614

Is anyone aware of any preserved DL&W semaphores? (Blade, stand, box, anything). I think there's one at Whippany, NJ but not sure.

Joshua
  by krazytrain

As far as preserved semaphores i think there are some in Scranton , Pa along the steamtown and Delware Lackawanna mainline. I have seen old signals, there are ones that go up over and over all the tracks or the type of signals that just go straigth up. I do not no how old they are but atleast from the Erie Lackawanna period. They look like they havn ,t been used in many years

by msernak

There is one on the Gladstone Branch on the roof of Millington Station. Although not a normal semaphore signal, this was a train order signal. I have some blades but need the lenses. Anyone know where I can find some?

by pdman

The other Gladstone Branch stations that had them werer Far Hills, Bernardsville, Basking Ridge, Lyons, (Millington, of course), Stirling, Berkeley Heights, and Murray Hill.

by peter-f

-but between Summit and Millington, only Millington retains the mast and head - (no blades)

Murray Hill has a photo mounted on the exterior (platform side) of the station circa 1940?? with sidings, freight houses and train-order signal.

Is that an old 'tower' east of the Summit station platform... within the cut?

YES

by henry6

There are plenty of train order signals: semaphore blades. But I don't beleive there are any actual in service block or home or interlocking blades. Anything at Steamtown are probably public displays and not in service nor prototypically in place. None, other than a few TO's on the Utica and Syracuse branches, too.

by pdman

Peter-F, yes there was a tower built into the hill underneath the overpass bridge just east of the westbound platform. I spent many an evening hour in that from 1958 to about 1961.

by calorosome

Didn't the Buffalo division have semaphores into EL? Pics of Waverly action in the 50s show semaphores. Scranton division replaced semaphores with signals before EL.

by ANDY117

Don't forget the last one operating in Endicott.

by calorosome

That's Erie, not DL&W.

by ANDY117

Whoops! I forgot that. Where did the DL&W run around here?
  by Matt Langworthy

Andy, the DL&W mainline typically ran south of the Erie mainline between Chemung and Bingo. West of Bingo, it crossed the Erie mainline (near Lowman) and was north of the Erie all the way from there to Buffalo. There no surviving semaphores on any ex-EL tracks west of Johnson City. Several were still active on the ex-Erie in the Canisteo valley well into the '90s, even after CR single-tracked the line, but thry're gone now.

Also, here's a site that gives you a look at the remnants ofthe DL&W near Waverly: http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/DLW_south_waverly.html

It was thru this site that I was introduced to the excellent Web pages of Scotty Chaos. I also recommend an interesting book called Trackside Around Sayre, which I got at the RIT train show last month. It includes some great pics of DL&W/Erie/EL action in the Waverly-Elmira area so one can really get a feel for it was like back in the '40s-'76. It also has a simple map of the area...
  by henry6

DL&W ran west from Johnson City crossing river into Vestal, crossing Old Vestal Rd on bridge extant. Roadbed can be seen alongside road to Syacamore where RAIL TRAIL continues to Main/Bridge St. From there RT17-86 uses ROW through the Owego Narrows at Lounsberry, then roadbed can be seen on and off to the right almost to Nichols where it goes to the left through the village then is gone until highway goes over River Rd and it can be seen again on right. ROW goes around the hill, the highway over it and ROW can be seen again to the right until river is crossed and ROW is again on left and can be followed to Elmira exit.

by calorosome

The DL&W Apalachin station still stands near rt 17. It currently houses retail space - Subway and Pat Mitchell's Ice Cream are the two I can think of. The interior is still authentic, even to the scale in the middle of the floor.

Just a little west of the station, in the trees south of rt 17, stands a DL&W telegraph pole with all four crossbars still intact. It is really hard to pick out even with no foliage on the trees. If you travel east on rt 17, pull over just past the "Apalachin 1 mile" sign. Look carefully and you'll see it.

I spotted that pole when I was going to BCC over twenty years ago (I have really good vision - 20/16).