• New customer for Vermont Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by B&M 1227

Driving back to school on Rt 67 today, I noticed two scrap cars on the new siding in White Creek NY, adjacent to the old Bennington Paperboard plant. I drove by frequently in early December and never spotted any cars there.
  by Fritz

Alex,
That's the new (revitalized) spur serving Walloomsac Recycling. The spur was being built last summer, but your report is the first that I have heard about it's use. Keep us posted about what you observe there.
Thanks!
Fritz
  by B&M 1227

The cars were pulled Thursday and went out on Friday's AD-1. They're SSEX cars destined for Schnitzer Steel in Everett MA.
  by newpylong

That's good traffic for Pan Am if they can keep it. "Almost" an online customer to an online customer.
  by rovetherr

It's good traffic for both of us!
  by B&M 1227

Driving by yesterday, I noticed a VTR bulkhead set out for Walloomsac Recycling. From what I've heard they've been cutting the center beam off of VTR log cars so crushed cars can be shipped out.
  by B&M 1227

I overheard a track crew yesterday talking about extending this siding. This seems promising.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

B&M 1227 wrote:Driving by yesterday, I noticed a VTR bulkhead set out for Walloomsac Recycling. From what I've heard they've been cutting the center beam off of VTR log cars so crushed cars can be shipped out.
Does anybody know what shredder these crushed cars are going to and what kind of tonnage they are getting on one of the ex-log cars? Any reply would be very helpful,thanks.