• Freight on the RVL East of Middlesex

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by necrails

Is there every a freight run down the RVL into Roselle to serve what looks to be the last remaining customer next to Aldene? If yes, is this a schduled or as needed run?
  by riffian

That's Federal Plastics. They used to go down there on Thursday night, after the last eastbound NJT. Is that still an active customer? I haven't been down there for a while (probably close to a year), but they went at least a year before that without receiving any cars at all.
  by Jtgshu

I haven't seen a car there at Federal Plastics in about a year. Also, Injectron which is west of Plainfield used to get service too, but I haven't seen cars there in about a year either :(
  by ccutler

Just conjecture, but might it be cheaper to ship the plastic to the transload site in South Plainfield and truck < 10 miles than to run the switcher a good 30 miles round trip for one carload?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Which job does this? Conrail SAO?
  by ccutler

I took the RVL train through Plainfield and Dunellen yesterday and was pleased to see that the easternmost siding [on the south side of the main where there is a 3rd track for freight] has an active customer again, with two covered hoppers in it in addition to the two old covered hoppers that seem to be parked there for storage.

I was getting the impression that NS would have convinced customers east of bound brook to transload there and save NS the extra trip, but I guess that impression wasn't correct.
  by Jtgshu

Thats Injectron in Plainfield and yes, it was a pleasant surprise to see those cars pop up there the other day!
  by wolfboy8171981

ccutler wrote:I took the RVL train through Plainfield and Dunellen yesterday and was pleased to see that the easternmost siding [on the south side of the main where there is a 3rd track for freight] has an active customer again, with two covered hoppers in it in addition to the two old covered hoppers that seem to be parked there for storage.

I was getting the impression that NS would have convinced customers east of bound brook to transload there and save NS the extra trip, but I guess that impression wasn't correct.
Any freight EAST of Bound Brook is actually served by Conrail. NS handles the freight WEST of Bound Brook. With the exception being Bound Brook Yard, those hoppers are drilled by Conrail as well.
  by BigDell

I wonder how often there is movement... I'd love to catch the action.
It'd be nice to see freight so close to "home" on the RVL.