• Model RR clubs with DCC or Analog/DCC

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by zablocki22

I have posted this on the HO Scale forum as well.

For those of you who belong to a model RR club, do you have a setup where you can switch from Analog to DCC for operating a particular session or you had a meeting, voted and decided to go straight DCC?

If you have the ability to operate both ways, could you basically explain how you electronically went about it?

Did members find it as a hardship to invest in decoders?

Just wondering because we are having, at times, some "heated" discussions at our club.

Thanks for any input,

Vincent Zablocki
  by Mike Walsh

Basically, the biggest challenge you would have with switching between DC/DCC is making sure you have all the proper locomotives for each system.

One thing you may need to think about is ease of conversion. How will you set up the control panel, and wire up all tracks?

I made a control panel for my modules, and used Double Pole, Double Throw switches to control the modules. I never fully finished it, as i decided to simply hard wire everything for DCC, and use the private tracks only if they were to be run under digital command control.

You can wire the DPDT easily and effectively.

Basically, you have 6 contacts. 2 columns, 3 rows. Each row would be treated as a power lead. The top and bottom rows would be for each respective supply, for instance, the top could be DC, and the bottom would be DCC. the Middle row would lead to the track itself. What you need to do is when you decide to change modes, you must make sure everything is on a particular mode. If you are using DCC, you can leave EVERYTHINg in the DCC position, however when you are using DC, you must inform all of the operators to either use the switches in the DC or OFF position, and try not to use the DCC position. However, if the DCC is completely shut down (NO power to the system) then there should not be any problem because there will be no power leading to the Command station/boosters, unless you have two sections of track (one ON, another OFF), but have some type of contact between them, then you would have a back feed, which would feed power from the track TO the command station/booster. This would only be the case if the switch was accidentally thrown to the DCC position. I dont know if this would cause any damage, but simply the best thing to do would be make sure that you don't leave the switch in the DCC position.

Gotta make sure you have no reversing sections (loops or wyes). Generally on a LOOP, such as a dogbone, where you run two mainlines side by side, you'd have the inside track a particular current, and another would be the opposite current. This cannot be the case if you are using crossovers between the mainlines, because you would need to use reversing circuits.

If you've already built your layout, you want to check EVERYTHING to make sure you will not have any shorts. It would take lots of time, and probably require that the layout be shut down for a period of time. If you have yet to build the layout, plan it with this in mind.

If you have any questions, you can always e-mail me.

If i dont know the answer, I can ask some of the guys in the RIT Model Railroad Club, to see if anyone knows. SOMEONE has to know, if its not within a particular group, people know people that might know people, which might know even more people. It's that kind of "small" world we live in :)

mike

by zablocki22

Your detailed response is much appreciated. Thank you!

Vincent
  by Mike Roque

zablocki22 wrote:[...]do you have a setup where you can switch from Analog to DCC for operating a particular session or you had a meeting, voted and decided to go straight DCC?

If you have the ability to operate both ways, could you basically explain how you electronically went about it?
It is possible to have DCC and DC on the same layout. The methodology I hear about the most is using DCC as one of your "cabs" on a blocked layout. Take a look at this topic and take a look at the DCC for Beginners on WiringForDCC.COM.
zablocki22 wrote:Did members find it as a hardship to invest in decoders?
This was a concern, but in the long run it wasn't that big of a deal because a decoder can be installed in just about any locomotive anywhere from as easily as plugging one in to a simple solder job. The profound increase in ease of operation and realism that comes with DCC *MORE* than outweighs the marginal cost.

If you really want to win them over, have them try operating a DCC layout...I'm sure they'll see the light...

by NJT Rider

zablocki22,

I notice you are in Dumont, NJ. You should visit the Ramapo Valley Railroad Club in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ. We are only 20 minutes from you. We have a DCC layout using the NCE System. We currently have a signaling system being installed, and also are in the process of installing accessory decoders to give us the ability to throw turnouts from our throttle's, and from our computerized dispatcher's desk.

We are in the VFW Hall, which in down the hill from the NJT Train station in Ho-Ho-Kus.

We are there Tuesday and Friday nights from 8pm-????

by zablocki22

I was at your clubs show back in December. Beautiful layout coming together over there. As a matter of fact, I was talking with a few other members of the club I'm in (NYSME in Carlstadt) who have also been there and we would possibly like to take a ride up some there some time to really see operations because the show was packed when we up there. (Great for your club income)

As for the DCC:
We ordered and received the NCE Pro-cab R system. We will also be installing plugs around the layout. Our main objective is to get the Branchline wired up by the Fall show in November so that we can operate the industries from the aisle and not have to be stuck inside the layout at a tiny panel.

Again I will talk to some of the others about taking a ride, especially since the weather is getting nicer.

Vincent

by NJT Rider

Vincent,

Currently our railraod is not running due to scheduled trackwork. We have replaced a number of switches in our yards, and some main line trackage. We also have 3 new scenes under construction. We are also going to start our layout room expansion later this month. The layout will be up and running on the last friday of April. We are having an operating session that will be starting at 8pm. Visitors are more than welcome to attend and participate. We will have the NCE System up and going, along with our signalling system. We will also be open for an open house on Memorial day from 11-2pm. After Memorial Day, we will be going into our 2nd trackwork window, and the layout will be down until mid August. Since you were at our last show, you know the amount of new stuff going on, we are going to have a lot more new things for our next show in Dec.

Hope to see you there.