• Jersey Field Lumber Company's railroad service

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

Hay guys I don't know know anything about this little line that your talking about but a quick look in the SPV Atlas has a not so detailed map for ya of the area but dose give some what of a direction in which the Rail line went.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ginosrailpage

scharnhorst wrote:Hay guys I don't know know anything about this little line that your talking about but a quick look in the SPV Atlas has a not so detailed map for ya of the area but dose give some what of a direction in which the Rail line went.
I forgot that was in the SPV's Railroad Atlas! I remember being more intrigued by the placename 'Bungtown.' I'd love to know where that came from! I'm also pretty sure that Bungtown is a little more east of where it's shown on the map. If anyone has more info on this, please share!

Gino
  by manheimer

Sorry, I've been unable to get back to the forum in a timely fashion. In regards to the naming of Bungtown it is due to the making of bungs or plugs, stoppers, etc., for the barrels made by the nearby Brooklyn Cooperage Company in Salisbury, NY. Also the SPV RR atlas showing the tracks of the Jerseyfield RR going through Bungtown.. This is wrong.. The USGS topo map for this area shows Bungtown roughly southeast of the switchback within a mile or fraction thereof. Twice, once in 1984 and most recently two years ago I have trekked to the switchback by traveling the Oak Mountain Rd. to the Upper Bungtown Rd. to the end of that road where it terminates to a trail. At this point by foot and compass you travel just over a half mile due west to the switchback. The hike requires you to ford Trammel Creek which is normally tame and hike up a moderate incline to the ROW. Both times I've gone in the spring after most of the snow is gone but before the foliage (and black flies) appears. There is a considerable amount of rail still there. It is worth the hike to get there. I was wondering (this is directed to Gino
) why your friend could not show you the 8 mm movies of the last run of the LF&D in 1964.
  by CarterB

The rail that's still there....is it mostly just in the switchback area or even more? What weight and any mfg and/or date markings?
  by pumpers

manheimer wrote:The USGS topo map for this area shows Bungtown roughly southeast of the switchback within a mile or fraction thereof.
Can I ask what USGS map you have? I looked at quite a few topos in the area (Salisbury, Stratford, Lassellsville, Ohio, Jerseyfield Lake, etc, 7.5 and 15 minute, from 1902 to fairly recent) but can't find Bungtown anywhere. Maybe I missed something. (My source of maps was : http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/map ... 4ROOT)/.do Once you figure out how to use it, it gives you all topo maps available (I think), back to pre-1900, for that a given location. )
Thanks, JS
  by ginosrailpage

I don't think Bungtown is on the Historic USGS Topo Maps. I've noticed it on recent maps. I think you'll even find it on Google Maps.

Gino
  by pumpers

ginosrailpage wrote:I don't think Bungtown is on the Historic USGS Topo Maps. I've noticed it on recent maps. I think you'll even find it on Google Maps.
Gino
Well, I see Upper Bungtown Rd on Google Maps, but not a label for Bungtown itself. I'm guessing Bungtown somewhere along that road. (Was it such a metropolis that there was "Lower Bungtown" and and "Upper Bungtown"? ) JS
  by ginosrailpage

Bungtown is also shown as a placename in Michael Kudish's book on railroads in the Adirondacks.

Gino
  by ginosrailpage

manheimer wrote:Sorry, I've been unable to get back to the forum in a timely fashion. In regards to the naming of Bungtown it is due to the making of bungs or plugs, stoppers, etc., for the barrels made by the nearby Brooklyn Cooperage Company in Salisbury, NY. Also the SPV RR atlas showing the tracks of the Jerseyfield RR going through Bungtown.. This is wrong.. The USGS topo map for this area shows Bungtown roughly southeast of the switchback within a mile or fraction thereof. Twice, once in 1984 and most recently two years ago I have trekked to the switchback by traveling the Oak Mountain Rd. to the Upper Bungtown Rd. to the end of that road where it terminates to a trail. At this point by foot and compass you travel just over a half mile due west to the switchback. The hike requires you to ford Trammel Creek which is normally tame and hike up a moderate incline to the ROW. Both times I've gone in the spring after most of the snow is gone but before the foliage (and black flies) appears. There is a considerable amount of rail still there. It is worth the hike to get there. I was wondering (this is directed to Gino
) why your friend could not show you the 8 mm movies of the last run of the LF&D in 1964.
Thanks for this info Manheimer! Is it private property where Upper Bungtown Road ends and the trail begins?

Gino
  by ginosrailpage

No, we're not confused about the route of the railroad. We're wondering how a place-name ended up on the line in the SPV Railroad Atlas. Now, were' trying to find if there is an exact spot for the place-name. The place-name we're interested in is 'Bungtown.'
  by manheimer

My bad on the Bungtown reference to the USGS map. It is just a few houses around that area as being referred to locally as being Bungtown. To Carter B; most of the remaining rail is situated on the eastern end of the switchback. The area at the end of Upper Bungtown Rd is on state land.
  by CarterB

manheimer, would be interesting to know the mfg date/s and rail manufacturer if anyone ever gets a chance to find same on some of the rails. Any of the switchback turnouts remain? or just some running rail?
  by manheimer

To Carter B;
The rail weight found on the switchback varies between 88 to 90 lbs. a yard. If memory serves me the rails were made in Scranton and/or Lackawanna... I'm not sure about dates. I did however take some slide photos of the area in 1984 and a friend of mine took some digital photos in 2010 of the same area-very little has changed. It is located on state land within the APA'
  by ginosrailpage

manheimer wrote:To Carter B;
The rail weight found on the switchback varies between 88 to 90 lbs. a yard. If memory serves me the rails were made in Scranton and/or Lackawanna... I'm not sure about dates. I did however take some slide photos of the area in 1984 and a friend of mine took some digital photos in 2010 of the same area-very little has changed. It is located on state land within the APA'
Hey Manheim, you kind of answered my question. You said you took slides of the area in 1984, and said the area hasn't changed much when you went in 2010. IS the rail still there?

Gino