• Mechanicville 1960's question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by BR&P

I posted this on the NYC forum some time back with no luck. Maybe someone on here knows an old B&M man, or may be one themself, worth a try.

Back in about 1965 give or take, I visited Mechanicville. On the B&M caboose track or another track nearby, there was a wooden NYC caboose originally from their 19000 series. It had been renumbered with an "X" number for company service - working from memory it MAY have been NYC X27213 but not sure. My one and only photo is buried in some box or other.

Anyway, this caboose sat at the end of the track, and seemed to be used as a stationary "office" rather than in active service. Nobody was in it at the time. I've always wondered whether it was used as an office for a NYC clerk, or a bunk house in case some NYC crew had to lay over, or some other purpose.

Anyone recall this? Thanks!
  by jbvb

There are several people on [email protected] who might remember this. If you don't wish to join, I could ask there.
  by BR&P

jbvb wrote:There are several people on [email protected] who might remember this. If you don't wish to join, I could ask there.
I'd appreciate that. I really don't have time for another forum, I'm on several already, and while I like the B&M it's not one I know a whole lot about and thus I would have little to offer them. Thanks for the offer, and maybe we'll all learn something new.